You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can I animate text with keyframes in fcpx?

Since the versatile FCPX 10.2 seems to do everything else, I was frankly disappointed to realize that I can't animate and keyframe text with the xyz axis controls. I even called an Apple advisor who confirmed that it wasn't built into the application. All I want to do is to start with a title at a certain angle and proceed to have it turn to a different angle in the space of time (such as 3 seconds).

In these screen shots, the texts: "A Search for" and "Clean Power" are facing in opposite directions. In the animation I want, they end up both facing forward, like the text above them.

User uploaded file User uploaded file

Is there a recommended 3rd party plug in that will do this? Again, am amazed Apple didn't include something so simple and basic, since you can move the text any which way along the axis, but you can't keyframe it! My old OS 9 NLE (Cinestream) could do it, and I think it was also available in LiveType for FCP Express. Does FCPX want me to buy and learn Motion? As it is, for a simple scrolling text, I found Manifesto, and downloaded that for free.

Mac Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Aug 15, 2017 8:31 PM

5 replies

Aug 16, 2017 12:33 PM in response to Alex Gollner

I found a Motion Template online called EZ Track 3D which looks promising, so I'll give it a try. It was $10, but hopefully well worth it.

And thanks, Tom Wolsky, for making the Motion learning curve sound less formidable than I imagined it to be. I'm sure it's also very versatile for a lot more than text manipulation.

When I voiced my concern to the Apple pro-apps advisor on the phone, he said, well, hey, FCPX is only 300 bucks...making it sound like the bells and whistles were like stepping up from a Corolla to a Camry.

Aug 17, 2017 9:40 PM in response to keithgvp

Alex, I was able to install your app just fine. I had to put it in the Titles folder...simple!

BTW, I also found two others that seem to do the same thing: Titles with Param, and EZ Track 3D, both from Sight Creations. Is there a difference between the three of these? I seem to be able to create the moves using the top two tracks in the Video Animation pop-up and dragging the image around with the xyz handles.

can I animate text with keyframes in fcpx?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.