Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DPI scaling options missing

My Mac Mini late 2014 won't show the DPI scaling options in the display preferences panel. The monitor is a Samsung 4k UE590 connected with HDMI.

Posted on Aug 15, 2017 7:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2017 8:23 AM

I can select resolutions all the way up to 4k. That's not the problem. The DPI scaling options are missing. The Dock and menus are tiny at 4k resolution. So the scaling lets you blow up the UI to compensate. And that option is missing int he Display preference panel.

9 replies

Aug 21, 2017 5:06 AM in response to 512kfatmac

512kfatmac wrote:

The answer is that it's either a bug or a poorly implemented feature depending on what Mac you have. And that's okay.

Maybe or maybe not. The feature may only be natively available on iMac's that have built-in 4K or 5K displays and not on Mac Mini's with external 4K or 5K displays connected to HDMI or Mini DisplayPort.

If you would like to report a macOS bug or suggest new macOS features,

you can use > Feedback - macOS - Apple

If you would like to suggest additional features like GUI scaling for the Mac Mini,

you can use > Product Feedback - Apple

Aug 15, 2017 8:34 PM in response to 512kfatmac

Select Default for the display, then hold the Alt (option) key and select Scaled. Keep in mind that the HDMI port may only support a max of 1080p (1920x1080).

If that does not get the full resolution, then you will need to connect it to one of your Mac Mini's Thunderbolt ports using a MiniDisplay Port to Display Port cable. for example: > https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Mini-DisplayPort-Adapter-Cable/dp/B002XVYZ82

Aug 17, 2017 9:44 PM in response to 512kfatmac

512kfatmac wrote:

Could the Mac have trouble identifying my monitor's capabilities somehow? It does think the "Default for your display" is 1080p. System information lists it as 1920x1080. Could that be why the scaling options are missing?

Yes and yes, that is what I was trying to telling you.

You should be using a higher resolution Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable with that monitor.

Aug 20, 2017 1:45 PM in response to den.thed

No. Nothing you have said helped all that much. The answer is that it's either a bug or a poorly implemented feature depending on what Mac you have. And that's okay. People shouldn't expect so much from something still under development. It's the best thing or I wouldn't be using it. Mic drop.

My education had to start here though. I did not understand how OS X scales the GUI elements for higher resolutions. I assumed the resolution was picked from one screen. But the slider panel "larger text to more space" was for setting the GUI scaling resolution. But this is not the case. The (retina?) slider, selects a predetermined set of resolution and % of GUI size scaling up or down. It's a combo slider. Not unlike shifting gears.

The reasons why you may or may not get the slider depend on a variety of things. And I know some of them are good reasons. And for the others you can point to reasonable technical explanations why this is. But for most customers I can think of for Macs, it's not going to be believed that the Mac they resize text and graphics on all day...can't resize text and graphics? It's immaterial what the technical reason is. The technical reason is the detailed explanation of the bug, not the feature.

But even when you do get the slider it's a rudimentary implementation of scaling when compared to other offerings. And that can't be unnoticed by graphics professionals. Actually it probably doesn't go unnoticed in the dorm room with parents comparing the two most popular offerings. I might not mind. It's a fun puzzle to solve. But it's the consumer that might not want to edit some "wackidy file" that is undoubtedly in my future.

Aug 23, 2017 8:19 AM in response to 512kfatmac

Apple automagically 😉 enable scaling i.e. 'Retina' display options on their own built-in Retina displays. This means newer iMac models and MacBook Pro Retina models. In addition to these genuine Apple displays I believe a very small handful of third party displays e.g. the Dell P2415K which is a 4K Displayport display are also under current versions of macOS auto-recognised for this purpose.

However other equally capable third party 4K displays are not auto-recognised for this purpose. This does not mean you cannot get this benefit but it does mean you need to use one of several possible unofficial approaches to get this to work. It could be the How to Enable HiDPI Mode in Mac OS X - TekRevue article mentioned by den.thed is one such approach, others might include using SwitchResX or creating a custom display-override setting file, for this see https://comsysto.com/blog-post/force-hidpi-resolutions-for-dell-u2515h-monitor and Scaled Resolutions for your MacBooks external Monitor | by comSysto.

Note: Unless you are using HDMI 2.0 then you are limited to a maximum resolution of 1920x1200, the Mac mini only support HDMI 1.4a on its built-in HDMI port.

DPI scaling options missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.