Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 plus adds a 1 in front of phone numbers when I respond to a phone call with a message, then I get an immediate text stating please use a valid 10 digit number!

Why does my iPhone 6 plus add a 1 in front of outgoing response phone call to callers? This makes an incorrect phone number and I immediately get a text message stating the phone number is not valid and to enter a valid 10 digit number. I cannot find how to stop the phone from adding a "1" in front of the callers number.

Posted on Aug 16, 2017 10:45 AM

3 replies

Aug 22, 2017 11:28 AM in response to Slapshotses

Hello Slapshotses,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Community. I understand you’re having some trouble with outgoing calls on your iPhone, and I have some information that may help.

If you have not already, it's always a good idea to restart your phone as described in the article below.

Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If that doesn't help, you may want to back up your iPhone and reinstall iOS.

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

After you have a backup, you can reinstall iOS by following he steps in the excerpt below.

If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Put your device in recovery mode and set it up again

1. Make sure that you're using the latest version of iTunes.
  2. If iTunes is already open, close it. Connect your device to your computer and open iTunes. If you don't have a computer, borrow one from a friend or go to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for help.
  3. While your device is connected, force restart it with these steps:
    • On an iPhone 6s and earlier, iPad, or iPod touch: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons at the same time. Don't release the buttons when you see the Apple logo. Keep holding both buttons until you see the recovery mode screen.
    • On an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Volume Down buttons at the same time. Don't release the buttons when you see the Apple logo. Keep holding both buttons until you see the recovery mode screen.
      User uploaded file
  4. When you see the option to Restore or Update, choose Update. iTunes will try to reinstall iOS without erasing your data. Wait while iTunes downloads the software for your device. If the download takes more than 15 minutes and your device exits recovery mode, let the download finish, then repeat these steps.
    User uploaded file
  5. After the Update or Restore completes, set up your device.

Get more help

If you can’t update or restore your device with recovery mode, or you can't use recovery mode because of broken buttons, contact Apple Support.

If you run into any trouble, please reach out again.
​Best Regards.

Aug 23, 2017 4:35 AM in response to i_rina

Thank you for responding to my query. I followed your directions but at the point where I held the home button and sleep/wake buttons, waited for the Apple icon and then released, it would not connect to iTunes until I entered my passcode. Once I did that it connected but I didn't see the window you referenced in step 4 so I did not get the option to do an update?

Aug 25, 2017 10:23 AM in response to Slapshotses

Hello Slapshotses,

The timing on recovery mode can be a little tricky. If it’s still asking for your passcode, then we know that the Phone is not in recovery mode, as recovery mode bypasses the passcode for update and restore purposes.

Give it another try, and if you continue to have trouble please reach out again, and we’ll help find a solution.

Best Regards.

iPhone 6 plus adds a 1 in front of phone numbers when I respond to a phone call with a message, then I get an immediate text stating please use a valid 10 digit number!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.