Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it legal to install MacOS on PC

I understand that this is unsupported, against the EULA, and frowned upon by the Apple Community. I currently own two iMacs, what law does this violate by downloading Mac OS on my mac and installing it to my PC? Thanks!

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS Sierra (10.12.4), Late 2015

Posted on Aug 16, 2017 12:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2017 1:24 PM

LedbyLight wrote:

So in installing that where do I break the copyright?

In actuality you can do whatever you want with your PC and Apples software, only the people you tell will know that you are in breach of contract, but now that you have come to an Apple hosted forum to tell us about it, Apple know.

26 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 16, 2017 1:24 PM in response to LedbyLight

LedbyLight wrote:

In actuality you can do whatever you want with your PC and Apples software, only the people you tell will know that you are in breach of contract, but now that you have come to an Apple hosted forum to tell us about it, Apple know.

Aug 16, 2017 3:30 PM in response to Csound1

Csound1 wrote:

LedbyLight wrote:

Which brings up another fine point. According to the Legal - Website Terms of Use - Apple (this website) and Legal - Piracy Prevention - Apple incorporated within it by reference, Apple would be well within their rights to use this Discussion in a legal proceeding against the OP.

Excerpted from it:

Apple may disclose any information we have about you (including your identity) if we determine that such disclosure is necessary in connection with any investigation or complaint regarding your use of the Site, or to identify, contact or bring legal action against someone who may be causing injury to or interference with (either intentionally or unintentionally) Apple’s rights or property, ...

Etcetera.

He or she would be wise to ask someone qualified to remove this entire Discussion.

Aug 16, 2017 2:37 PM in response to LedbyLight

The finer points of legalities have been stated.

But know this — the instant that you install macOS on a PC, and it is on a network, and macOS is communicating with Apple's servers. Apple will know that your platform is a PC and not a Mac, and then you are at Apple's mercy. They may, or may not decide that since you have violated the specific terms of the macOS license agreement, to remotely revoke your rights to the operating system via a server to client software push.

Aug 16, 2017 2:39 PM in response to KiltedTim

KiltedTim wrote:

If you make a copy of software you have a license for and give or sell it to a 3rd party, it becomes a criminal offense. Installing and using a copy you do NOT have a license for is also a criminal offense.

Sorry, I missed something. stating something is a criminal offense doesn't make it one. What criminal laws are violated if say you use a copy of Photoshop let's say you found on a torrent site?

Aug 16, 2017 3:33 PM in response to dialabrain

I think it would be more effective to be able to show people what the actual laws and penalties are.

Apple's legal department is the one that would need to do that. I would not do that because a) most (all?) of us are not lawyers and b) we may be subject to civil suits if we state something which (in this litigious society) someone may claim caused them harm/inconvenience/damages because our opinion was not quite correct. That is the main reason I try to simply link to the pertinent licensing agreements and/or just copy excerpts.

Is it legal to install MacOS on PC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.