Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where is all my information stored?

If you take a phone apart next to the battery is the motherboard, if I take it out and put it in another phone will all my information be there? information meaning everything from my personal information to iOS and everything. Again my question is can I take the motherboard out and put it in another phone and it'll still work as if nothing happened?

Posted on Aug 16, 2017 4:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2017 4:40 PM

Not on an iPhone (or iPad), and most specifically not on any iPhone since the 5s. Apple uses a secure enclave system developed by them - it ties complete on-device data encryption to your screen lock passcode and/or fingerprint, the cpu/gpu, and other hardware IDs of key internal components.

If someone did as you suggest, all they would have is strongly encrypted gibberish. Nothing human readable. Basically, once an iOS device is set up and a screen passcode set, the data on it is encrypted, and the keys to decrypt it require that device be intact and functional. You need the intact original hardware, and the screen lock passcode to decrypt the data.

This is why the FBI had to pay nearly $1M USD to get into an older iPhone 5. The enhancements since the iPhone 5 make even that expensive, proprietary and secret hack impossible. And even then, that was on an originally intact device - no damage or replaced parts, just a screen lock passcode that was keeping the FBI from seeing the data.

See https://www.apple.com/business/docs/iOS_Security_Guide.pdfl

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 16, 2017 4:40 PM in response to shirakotakumo

Not on an iPhone (or iPad), and most specifically not on any iPhone since the 5s. Apple uses a secure enclave system developed by them - it ties complete on-device data encryption to your screen lock passcode and/or fingerprint, the cpu/gpu, and other hardware IDs of key internal components.

If someone did as you suggest, all they would have is strongly encrypted gibberish. Nothing human readable. Basically, once an iOS device is set up and a screen passcode set, the data on it is encrypted, and the keys to decrypt it require that device be intact and functional. You need the intact original hardware, and the screen lock passcode to decrypt the data.

This is why the FBI had to pay nearly $1M USD to get into an older iPhone 5. The enhancements since the iPhone 5 make even that expensive, proprietary and secret hack impossible. And even then, that was on an originally intact device - no damage or replaced parts, just a screen lock passcode that was keeping the FBI from seeing the data.

See https://www.apple.com/business/docs/iOS_Security_Guide.pdfl

Aug 16, 2017 9:00 PM in response to Michael Black

Okay right now I'm using an iPhone 6s rose gold, the motherboard and screen (with finger print reader) is from a space grey iPhone 6s. It's working fine. like 100% fine. No issues what so ever. I'm not sure what you're trying to say, I have legal access to both devices.

If you want to know exactly what I'm saying keep reading.

I want an iPhone to match my rosegold Apple Watch so I'm getting an iPhone 6s rose gold with a black screen and black finger print reader. (Parts from space grey 6s) However the mother boards and finger print readers are a set, they won't work with each other. I have my information on the space grey mother board. I'm getting an iPhone 6s in rose gold and I want to drop the space grey motherboard into the new body with new hardware. I already have one but the body of his one is damaged. I wanna know if my data will be untouched.

Basically, I have access to both devices and I'm taking them apart, I'm gonna swap motherboards. Will my information be on the motherboard or is it stored somewhere else? Will ALL my data be on the motherboard?

Aug 17, 2017 3:33 AM in response to shirakotakumo

shirakotakumo wrote:

I've tested this without any personal information on the phone and it works. since I'm swapping again I want to know if a swap works with personal information on it.

No, as I explained already and as is outlined in the details of the iOS security documentation. Your personal information from one device will not be readable nor useable if the storage chips are swapped out. That is an explicit and deliberate design aspect of the A7 and newer Apple cpu's and the secure enclave architecture. It is designed to deliberately disable the ability to do as you wish to.

The storage of an iOS device is NAND RAM chips that are soldered to the logic board.

You originally asked if the storage with your personal data could be transferred and used on another device. The answer is no, and it is so by careful design to prevent that very thing from being done.

If you literally take all the components, from on iPhone 6s and slap them in the empty aluminum shell of what was another iPhone 6s then sure as the aluminum enclosure has nothing to do with your data or the functional aspects of the device. But not if you take just the logic board, no.

Aug 16, 2017 9:07 PM in response to Michael Black

I'm gonna explain my current situation. Im using an iPhone 6s rose gold with a motherboard from an iPhone 6s space grey. The body of the rose gold is damaged. I'm ordering a new one from apple so everything's gonna be new. Once I receive it in gonna take out the only screen and motherboard. Next I'm gonna take the motherboard and screen of the space grey and put it in the new rose gold iPhone. Once I put the phone back together with the parts I said swapped, will my information on the phone still be there?

Aug 17, 2017 7:48 AM in response to Michael Black

In the last paragraph u said that unless I take all of the components and transfer them it won't work, if I just take the motherboard it won't work. So the hardware speaker camera etc are aware of each other? I would have both of the devices restored and have no data on if In order for it to work? (Just motherboard swap all other components will be untouched.)

Where is all my information stored?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.