Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro 2016 - defective screen? (stains)

Hello everyone,

I wonder if anyone ever got this problem.

I bought this mac 6 months ago and after 3 months darker stains started appearing on the LCD panel. Cleaned the
AR coating, but nothing changed. Went to the Apple Care centre and they confirmed it was the LCD screen (so this is not "staingate" even though at times I find key prints on the AR coating). They changed the panel and everything was fine... ... ... until I had the same problem after 3 months.

User uploaded file

Now this is my third macbook and I'm not treating it any differently than the other two. I'm not applying pressure on the screen, I don't use strange products to clean it, it is always inside his sleeve when I'm not using it, etc. And something very interesting is that these marks appear always in the same spot.

Now, this is obviously a defective LCD model, something wrong with the construction of this particular Mac, and has nothing to do with something on the customer's side. Now I am worried that this will happen again out of warranty and the Apple Care shop here in Bangkok suggested I buy two additional years at the price of 300-350 euros. Which it is obviously unacceptable. So unless they know exactly how to fix the problem (which they don't) the most reasonable course of action would be replacing the whole unit.

I'm about to contact them at the online support as well, but I would like to know if anyone else encountered this problem already. Using this machine for illustration and concept art, this problem is very painful.

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID

Posted on Aug 16, 2017 9:33 PM

5 replies

Aug 17, 2017 8:50 AM in response to amergino

Hi,

Just a comment on AppleCare. I would positively buy it. You have very good reasons to believe the display may need to be changed again and maybe again after that, and that cost of repair will far outweigh the cost of AppleCare.

The only exception to this is if they agree to replace the machine at this point and with that, they give you the full one year warranty of a new machine.

Aug 18, 2017 9:04 PM in response to tjk

Yeah,

obviously if push comes to shove, I will have to buy it. At least that would take care of possible future replacements. Even though forcing a customer to purchase additional warranty to cover a manufacturing problem would be a very inconsiderate move from Apple.

And that would still leave me open to another problem. I travel a lot and I'm not always near an Apple Care authorized center. Since I can work remotely, sometimes I find myself spending long(ish) periods of time in areas far from city centers. In the event I had to replace the screen again, that would mean taking a plane and spending additional money, without considering the hassle.

Anyway, I worked already in big customer services like HP, and I know all too well that some parts are defective by nature. Maybe this time they'll replace the monitor with another model, if such model exist.

I'll update this thread as soon as there is any new development.

Aug 19, 2017 9:28 PM in response to amergino

Just a quick update.

This is indeed the same "STAINGATE" issue that plagued retina screens in the past few years. The finger oils from the keys deposit on the AR coating and transfers to the LCD panel ruining the crystals. The reason you can't see the keyboard marks in the pictures above is because I wiped them off before (I try to do that rarely to avoid messing with the coating). I tend not to get them often since the first replacement when I got into the habit of cleaning the keyboard with water every time before closing the mac.

This diagnosis was confirmed by Apple Care when I went yesterday to pick up my unit which now looks like new. The service was excellent, but I am wondering why some units get this problem while others do not. I'm now looking for a thin microfiber cloth to cover the keyboard every time before closing the macbook and maybe a screen protector (checking the forums to see if it's a good idea). I'll update in case (when?) that happens again.

Macbook Pro 2016 - defective screen? (stains)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.