Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Constant fan noise on 2017 iMac even at rest

Hey Everyone,

I just upgraded from a 2012 to a 2017 iMac. I noticed yesterday that the fan is constantly on with the new iMac - even in rest mode (not rendering or moving data etc...). I saw some articles about this. It's really annoying especially if you work in the evening hours and the house is quiet and you want to work in absolute silence.

My old iMac had no problem with that. Do others have the same problem? Is there anything else besides earplugs I can do? Would an SSD drive make a difference or a different processor type that require less energy and create less heat?

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

Holger

27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display

Configuration

• 3.8GHz quad-core 7th-generation Intel Core i5 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.2GHz

• 8GB 2400MHz DDR4

• 3TB Fusion Drive

• Radeon Pro 580 with 8GB video memory

iMac with Retina 5K display, (2017, 27-inch )

Posted on Aug 17, 2017 9:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2017 9:43 AM

What's causing the fan activity depends on which fan it is. But if the fan is that noisy, I'd suggest you use your free Apple Support to get in touch with them and have it checked.

Have you tried n SMC reset?

Reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

46 replies

Sep 11, 2017 2:28 PM in response to Burgerb

I have the same problem with my new Imac: 14 days to give my money back....I return it....My mid 2011 Imac 27 inch still very quiet compare to the Fan noisy of new Imac 2017

27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display

Configuration

• 4.2GHz quad-core 7th-generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.5GHz

• 8GB 2400MHz DDR4

• 2TB Fusion Drive

• Radeon Pro 580 with 8GB video memory

Aug 17, 2017 10:03 AM in response to Burgerb

Holger,

A SMC reset is the normal thing to do if you have fan noise. Sometimes it takes 2-3 times for the reset to work though, so don't be discouraged if it doesn't work the first or second time. Below is a link that shows how to do it and also one for doing a PRAM reset. These are both very basic and in no way affect your data on the computer. If you want to Google them to learn what they are that's fine.

iMac SMC and PRAM reset

Aug 17, 2017 1:56 PM in response to Burgerb

The past four generations of 21.5-inch and 27-inch iMac (including yours) have only had one internal fan (blower). Earlier iMac models contained 3 fans (blowers). In all models the fan(s) turn on almost immediately after the power button is pressed, and the fan (blower) speed adjusts constantly depending on the internal sensor values.

My 2017 27-inch iMac is nearly silent unless I put my ear up to the display. It sounds like your iMac is much louder than normal, or you are more sensitive to the noise it makes. How far away are you sitting when you hear the noise? Can you hear it from across the room too?

I suggest running the Apple Diags that are already installed on your iMac to see if the diags detect any sensor or fan speed errors. If an error is generated be sure to record the details and take your iMac to a service location. You can also take it in if the idle fan (blower) noise is abnormally loud.

How to use Apple Diagnostics on your Mac - Apple Support

One additional step to take is to run the Activity Monitor application located in the Applications/Utilities folder. Click on the CPU option at the top and monitor the CPU usage. For new systems you may observe processes related to things like Spotlight or the Photos app consuming processor time and potentially causing the fan to run a little bit faster temporarily. Make a note if there are any processes consistently using a large % of the CPU time and report the results.

Sep 10, 2017 8:00 AM in response to Wienandy

Wienandy wrote:

I also have a similar problem with a 2017 iMac. Diagnostics show no problems both at home and at the Apple support service provider. Although Apple agreed to a replacement a shipping problem by Apple means I am well past my 14 days to return the machine. Apple Support are now very quiet and I still have a noisy iMac. Any ideas anyone?

Reset the SMC 2-3 times back to back and re-test. Intel iMac SMC and VRAM resets

Sep 11, 2017 2:30 PM in response to JackLePage

and make these tests too...and still noisy !!!

Mac SMC and PRAM reset

105680 Views | Last Modified: May 16, 2014

SMC RESET

• Shut down the computer.
  • Unplug the computer's power cord from both the wall and computer.
  • Wait 15 seconds.
  • Attach the computers power cable.
  • Wait another 5 seconds and press the power button to turn on the computer.

PRAM RESET

• Shut down the computer.
  • Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  • Turn on the computer.
  • Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
  • Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  • Release the keys.

Sep 18, 2017 12:31 AM in response to JackLePage

I am having the same issue with my new iMac. Similar specifications to JackLePage:

• Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017
  • 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
  • 8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
  • Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB

There's a constant hum of fan noise compared to the whisper quiet iMac 2015 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5 / 8GB 1867 MHz DDR3 / Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 1536 MB. With the exception of Safari and email, I really haven't started using it yet and I am fearful it's going to get noisier as I start using the Applications.

I too am considering returning it within the 14 days of delivery. What is the cause for the fan noise? Is it the Intel Core i7 and/or video card? Would upgrading the RAM help in anyway?

Mar 21, 2018 12:10 AM in response to Burgerb

I just got mine yesterday. I was reading a lot about fan noise and was a bit worried. But at idle and in most applications so far, it is just very quiet. I noticed when I tried to watch 8k YouTube video, then the fan will go on. As soon as I picked 4k or 5k option, the fan quieted down again. My config:

Configuration

• 4.2GHZ QC I7, TB UP TO 4.5GHZ
  • 8GB 2400MHZ DDR4 - 2X4GB
  • FLASH STORAGE
  • AMD RADEON PRO 580 W/8GB VRAM

Aug 17, 2017 9:50 AM in response to macjack

Hi Macjack,

Thanks for the respone. I have not done an SMC reset (I have to goodle to see what that actually is). I just got the iMac 5 days ago - so I haven't done any hardware checking.

Are you saying that different iMac models have different Fans and that the one in the iMac I purchased just is louder in general or could this be a hardware defect?

Thanks,

Holger

Sep 4, 2017 8:17 AM in response to Burgerb

Update: I exchanged my iMac with an iMac with Vesa Mount. In addition I added 32GB of Memory - ramping it up to a total of 40GB with the 8GB Pre-Installed Ram.

Problem is solved for now. The new iMac now runs as silent as my old one.

Not sure if the additional RAM helped or that having my iMac mounted to the wall reduced vibration noise that traveled through the stand - or if I just had a faulty iMac at the beginning. Anyways - problem solved for now.

Thank you everyone for their input!

Sep 10, 2017 4:23 AM in response to Burgerb

I also have a similar problem with a 2017 iMac. Diagnostics show no problems both at home and at the Apple support service provider. Although Apple agreed to a replacement a shipping problem by Apple means I am well past my 14 days to return the machine. Apple Support are now very quiet and I still have a noisy iMac. Any ideas anyone?

Constant fan noise on 2017 iMac even at rest

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.