Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 10.3.3 makes an iPhone 5C a useless brick

Is there any way to make an iPhone 5C stop being a useless brick with the iOS 10.3.3 update?

Since updating i've be experiencing a huge battery drainage (from 100% to 50% in less of an hour of 4G web browsing), and cellular network fluctuations.

By that i mean not only does the 4G signal balances from 100% to 0%, but most importante have I not been able to make or receive calls (or send SMS/iMessage) most of the time.

The only "workaround" that sometimes works is either rebooting the phone or removing/inserting the SIM card.

Yes, I have already reset it to factory settings, network settings, etc, etc...

Any ideias?
Thx

p.s.: I wonder what Apple testers were doing before the launch of iOS 10.3.3...

iPhone 5c, iOS 10.3.3, null

Posted on Aug 17, 2017 9:32 AM

14 replies

Aug 17, 2017 9:54 AM in response to nonnu

nonnu wrote:

Is there any way to make an iPhone 5C stop being a useless brick with the iOS 10.3.3 update?

Since updating i've be experiencing a huge battery drainage (from 100% to 50% in less of an hour of 4G web browsing), and cellular network fluctuations.

By that i mean not only does the 4G signal balances from 100% to 0%, but most importante have I not been able to make or receive calls (or send SMS/iMessage) most of the time.

The only "workaround" that sometimes works is either rebooting the phone or removing/inserting the SIM card.

Yes, I have already reset it to factory settings, network settings, etc, etc...

Any ideias?
Thx

p.s.: I wonder what Apple testers were doing before the launch of iOS 10.3.3...

What did your phone carrier say when you told them about your cellular data issue?

Sep 15, 2017 8:52 AM in response to nonnu

I have had the same problems only worse: 3 different iPhones (one iPhone 5 and two 5c's) died after the updates (10.1 and 10.2), so I will not update any further until I see somewhere that the issues are resolved. Sure, the apple store did replace them, but I was without a phone for 5-6 days each time and the wait time at the store added up to a little over ten hours altogether, add the time and cost of transportation, we are talking about twenty hours of my time wasted because Apple QA department either doesn't have enough time to adequately test across all carriers (mine is Verizon), or don't know how to do a sweep. Hello in there! To add insult to injury, when you call to discuss this bug, they pretend that they do not know what you are talking about. If I am expected to do my own QA, they should pay me a decent rate and provide me with tools/resources to do the job right. Right?

Sep 15, 2017 9:20 AM in response to Philly_Phan

Which time and which person? I was at the store 4 times and talked to over ten people. Prior to these visits, I would call the apple help line and they would tell me the useless rigormoroll (sp) of restart, Sim card, hard restart . . . . blah, blah, blah. If you want to know about my experiences you should call me, because I cannot fit them all in here and I do not have the time.****** (I will be back at noon).

<Phone Number Edited by Host>

Sep 15, 2017 12:21 PM in response to Philly_Phan

i do not care to participate in blame gaming an Apple store manager. If you want to help me:

1) point me to an independent (of Apple) tester who can verify that an update to 10.3.3 will actually help with my issue (the newer Verizon towers apparently have firmware that causes corruption in iPhone 5 and 5c software, making the phone useless (only wifi and internal apps work). Currently (phone #4) my workaround involves a hard turnoff and then a restart every single time I go to the basement level in a downtown SF building. Since I work in an office two levels down and then go up to service A/V 10-20 times a day, I just give up on the phone/text aspect of the phone until I leave for the day.

OR

2) give me a job in your QA department and the resources to test with multiple phones/carriers/iOS's, as I am currently unemployed. I have 5 years experience in QA. Thanks, William Langton

Sep 15, 2017 12:23 PM in response to Click Dark

Click Dark wrote:

i do not care to participate in blame gaming an Apple store manager. If you want to help me:

1) point me to an independent (of Apple) tester who can verify that an update to 10.3.3 will actually help with my issue (the newer Verizon towers apparently have firmware that causes corruption in iPhone 5 and 5c software, making the phone useless (only wifi and internal apps work). Currently (phone #4) my workaround involves a hard turnoff and then a restart every single time I go to the basement level in a downtown SF building. Since I work in an office two levels down and then go up to service A/V 10-20 times a day, I just give up on the phone/text aspect of the phone until I leave for the day.

OR

2) give me a job in your QA department and the resources to test with multiple phones/carriers/iOS's, as I am currently unemployed. I have 5 years experience in QA. Thanks, William Langton

Can't help you with either one of your suggested solutions and you don't want to speak to an Apple Store manager. I guess that you're going to have to live with a broken phone. Cheers!

Sep 15, 2017 12:32 PM in response to Philly_Phan

Your snide answer does not help. Talking to an Apple store manager has not helped in these instance (except that I did eventually get new phones, with an average of two trips to the store $15 BART and 1-4 hours of waiting), so I have no reason to believe that it would make any difference now. I am responding to this thread in the hopes of warning other people not to update, because that is the conclusion I came to after all these frustrating experiences.

Sep 16, 2017 10:45 AM in response to Click Dark

If you have any credit/debit or other cars on that phone remove them and remove any credit card tied to your Apple ID. Besides recent risk from the Equifax debacle the Broadcom chip on your iPhone has a security hole in the firmware which led to the Broadpwn malware. Bots can use this malware and you are unprotected. Be vigilant in checking your credit and banking statements. Also frequently change your passwords.

iOS 10.3.3 makes an iPhone 5C a useless brick

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.