Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unable to delete an adware

I have an adware 'helperamc' that I cannot delete because I keep getting a warning that the file cannot be deleted as it is open. I can't see an open file and it doesn't come up even if I search for it. Help please.

MacBook Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Aug 18, 2017 2:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2017 4:15 PM

You do not need to download, install, or purchase anything to remove the adware you inadvertently installed. The key to removing the "pcvark" adware variants is to quit any open processes they spawn, followed by removing the system-altering components that create them. To remove it follow the instructions below.

Back up your Mac if you have not done so already. To learn how to do that read https://www.apple.com/support/backup/. To learn how to use Time Machine read Use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac.

Be advised this procedure applies only to the "Advanced Mac Cleaner" version available as of this writing.

Like all similarly categorized Mac "cleaning" products, "Advanced Mac Cleaner" is a scam whose only purpose is to coerce you into spending money. To remove it read below. If you have questions regarding a file you're not sure about removing, ask.

1. Quit the app it if is running. Select "No Thanks" when harassed to purchase it.
  2. Open your Mac's Applications folder, and drag the Mac Adware Cleaner icon to the Trash. A popup window may open when you do that, pleading for you to reconsider. Just close it. Do the same if a browser window opens.
  3. Then, hold an Option key while selecting the Finder's Go menu. Select Library. Locate any folders bearing the following names, and drag them to the Trash. Not all of them may be present.
    • Advanced Mac Cleaner
    • Mac Adware Cleaner
    • hlpramc
    • hlprawc
  4. Then, locate the LaunchAgents folder, and open it. Inside there will be files containing the name adwarecleaner, hlpramc or hlprawc. Not all may be present. Drag all of them to the Trash.

Removing all its remnants is optional. If you wish to do that, continue below.

1. Return to the Library folder (you can use the "back arrow" button to do that). Open the Application Support folder and open it. Locate any folders containing the following names, and drag them to the Trash:
    • amc
    • awc
    • hlpramc
    • pcvark
    • Advanced Mac Cleaner
    • Mac Adware Cleaner (You will be asked to authenticate).
  2. Then, return to the Library folder again (back arrow), and open the folder named Preferences. Locate all files containing the names Mac Adware Cleaner, adware, adwarecleaner or pcvark, and drag them to the Trash.
  3. Return to the Library folder again (back arrow), and open the folder named Logs. Locate all files containing the names Mac Adware Cleaner, hlpramc, hlprawc, amc, or awc, and drag them to the Trash.
  4. Return to the Library folder again, and open the folder Saved Application State. Locate all folders containing the names pcvark, Mac Adware Cleaner, or Advanced Mac Cleaner, and drag them to the Trash.
  5. Open System Preferences > Users & Groups > select your User Account > Login Items. Select any items named Mac Adware Cleaner or Advanced Mac Cleaner and click the [—] (minus) button to delete the now nonexistent programs from your Login Items.
  6. Log out or restart your Mac.

The only way to avoid succumbing to these scams is to think before you click. Please read Effective defenses against malware and other threats. To learn how to avoid installing adware to begin with, read How to install adware.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 18, 2017 4:15 PM in response to fazelfatah

You do not need to download, install, or purchase anything to remove the adware you inadvertently installed. The key to removing the "pcvark" adware variants is to quit any open processes they spawn, followed by removing the system-altering components that create them. To remove it follow the instructions below.

Back up your Mac if you have not done so already. To learn how to do that read https://www.apple.com/support/backup/. To learn how to use Time Machine read Use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac.

Be advised this procedure applies only to the "Advanced Mac Cleaner" version available as of this writing.

Like all similarly categorized Mac "cleaning" products, "Advanced Mac Cleaner" is a scam whose only purpose is to coerce you into spending money. To remove it read below. If you have questions regarding a file you're not sure about removing, ask.

1. Quit the app it if is running. Select "No Thanks" when harassed to purchase it.
  2. Open your Mac's Applications folder, and drag the Mac Adware Cleaner icon to the Trash. A popup window may open when you do that, pleading for you to reconsider. Just close it. Do the same if a browser window opens.
  3. Then, hold an Option key while selecting the Finder's Go menu. Select Library. Locate any folders bearing the following names, and drag them to the Trash. Not all of them may be present.
    • Advanced Mac Cleaner
    • Mac Adware Cleaner
    • hlpramc
    • hlprawc
  4. Then, locate the LaunchAgents folder, and open it. Inside there will be files containing the name adwarecleaner, hlpramc or hlprawc. Not all may be present. Drag all of them to the Trash.

Removing all its remnants is optional. If you wish to do that, continue below.

1. Return to the Library folder (you can use the "back arrow" button to do that). Open the Application Support folder and open it. Locate any folders containing the following names, and drag them to the Trash:
    • amc
    • awc
    • hlpramc
    • pcvark
    • Advanced Mac Cleaner
    • Mac Adware Cleaner (You will be asked to authenticate).
  2. Then, return to the Library folder again (back arrow), and open the folder named Preferences. Locate all files containing the names Mac Adware Cleaner, adware, adwarecleaner or pcvark, and drag them to the Trash.
  3. Return to the Library folder again (back arrow), and open the folder named Logs. Locate all files containing the names Mac Adware Cleaner, hlpramc, hlprawc, amc, or awc, and drag them to the Trash.
  4. Return to the Library folder again, and open the folder Saved Application State. Locate all folders containing the names pcvark, Mac Adware Cleaner, or Advanced Mac Cleaner, and drag them to the Trash.
  5. Open System Preferences > Users & Groups > select your User Account > Login Items. Select any items named Mac Adware Cleaner or Advanced Mac Cleaner and click the [—] (minus) button to delete the now nonexistent programs from your Login Items.
  6. Log out or restart your Mac.

The only way to avoid succumbing to these scams is to think before you click. Please read Effective defenses against malware and other threats. To learn how to avoid installing adware to begin with, read How to install adware.

Aug 18, 2017 10:01 AM in response to fazelfatah

The advice you've received from poster John Galt is generally good, but the first step of his 'optional' steps is in fact required. The locations in his 'optional' step 1 are (some of the places)* where the binaries are located, so if you don't remove them it's a simple thing for any other malicious app or script to fire them up again.

I'd also agree that you don't need to download any app to do it, but it can be more convenient, faster and safer (there's a danger of making mistakes if you're not familiar with what you're doing). Aside from the recommendation you've already had, my utility DetectX will remove AMC and it's friends. It doesn't cost anything to download or use, and you can just throw it in the trash once you're done.

*I'm not sure if all these places were mentioned as the instructions go back and forth a bit, but you need to look in

~/Library

~/Library/LaunchAgents

~/Library/Application\ Support

and

/Library

/Library/Application\ Support

/Library/LaunchAgents

/Library/LaunchDaemons

for all files pertaining to amc or AMC, helperamc, hlpramc, hlpradc, hlpramcn, hlprawc, pcvark, pcv and Advanced Mac Cleaner.

There's sometimes a binary hiding in ~/Library/Cookies and/or ~/Library/Caches (looks for 'com.PCvark.Advance-Mac-Cleaner' or similar).

Disclaimer: this post contains a link to my own website from which I may derive some form of compensation. My website does not contain any sponsored ads.

unable to delete an adware

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.