Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am trying to add my charter email account to my macbook air.

I am trying to add my charter email account to my Macbook Air. I can't get beyond the screen that has you put in your charter email address and password. When you push continue, it just spins and spins and finally gives you a message "unable to verify account name or password" I am positive of my account name and password. I have been on the phone with Apple for days and with Charter for days -- Charter says it works on your ipad and iphone so the problem is with Apple and the Macbook Air. Apple says they have had their engineers look at it and the problem must be with Charter!!!!!!! Vicious circle of finger pointing ..... but no solution! I can't even get to the screens where you put in the settings... I can't get beyond the screen where you put in your email address and password.

Hope someone has a solution for this.

MacBook Air, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Aug 18, 2017 11:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2017 11:38 AM

... and I understand that this is not working for you.

The only other thing I can think of is to try the following when you add the Charter account to Apple Mail:

• From the Apple Mail menu, select Mail > Add Account...
  • Select "Other Mail Account...," and then, select Continue.
  • Enter your email address and password ... but BEFORE clicking on "Sign In," hold down the Option key, and then, click it.
  • You should be given the opportunity to enter both the account type and the servers.

If it fails to go on to this page, then there is something wrong with your Mac's user profile that is preventing this from happening. At this point, I would suggest creating a new user account on your Mac. Sign out of your current account, and then, sign in with this new account. Open Apple Mail, and then, try adding your Comcast account to it.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 20, 2017 11:38 AM in response to jfrillici

... and I understand that this is not working for you.

The only other thing I can think of is to try the following when you add the Charter account to Apple Mail:

• From the Apple Mail menu, select Mail > Add Account...
  • Select "Other Mail Account...," and then, select Continue.
  • Enter your email address and password ... but BEFORE clicking on "Sign In," hold down the Option key, and then, click it.
  • You should be given the opportunity to enter both the account type and the servers.

If it fails to go on to this page, then there is something wrong with your Mac's user profile that is preventing this from happening. At this point, I would suggest creating a new user account on your Mac. Sign out of your current account, and then, sign in with this new account. Open Apple Mail, and then, try adding your Comcast account to it.

Aug 18, 2017 1:45 PM in response to jfrillici

Yes I can access it via a web browser

Ok, then we know, at least, that you can access your email account with your user credentials (email username & password)

Let's verify that you are entering the correct email server information when you set up your Charter email account in macOS Mail. Use the following link and just enter your Charter email address: Mail Settings Lookup - Apple Support. This should provide you with the proper settings to enter in macOS Mail. Please post back your results.

however my files are missing from the web email. Charter tells me that they dont transfer to the web if they were created in Outlook

Do you know if your Charter email is an IMAP or POP3 account? These perform differently when retrieving emails from Charter's email servers. The fact that they were created while using the Outlook app is irrelevant.

Apple tells me the account can't be set up because Charter's server is not responding to the request to verify the account.

That may be possible. However, what is happening behind the scenes when you add an email account to macOS Mail, is that a message is sent to the email host server with your user credential to verify that the account is active. Something obviously is going wrong at this point.

One thing to try is to use the Mail Connection Doctor and see what it tells you.

Ref: Use Mail Connection Doctor - Apple Support

Aug 18, 2017 1:25 PM in response to Tesserax

Yes I can access it via a web browser; however my files are missing from the web email. Charter tells me that they dont transfer to the web if they were created in Outlook, which is where I created them on my PC. Funny thing is that 2 of the files are on the web, but the rest of them are missing.

Apple tells me the account can't be set up because Charter's server is not responding to the request to verify the account.

Aug 19, 2017 5:12 AM in response to Tesserax

Charter is IMAP. I can't get to the settings portion of account setup because it never lets me get beyond the first page where you put in your email address and password. Charter's servers don't respond to the request to verify the account is active. Apple has reached out to Charter to resolve this as there are others in the same situation; however Charter has been unresponsive. Charter uses different servers for the iPhone and the iPad and I have been able to set up my email on those devices. The problem is with my MacBook Air. Charter uses a different server for that and that is the one that is unresponsive.

Aug 19, 2017 7:59 AM in response to jfrillici

Charter uses different servers for the iPhone and the iPad and I have been able to set up my email on those devices. The problem is with my MacBook Air. Charter uses a different server for that and that is the one that is unresponsive.

I find that extremely odd. For example, when you enter your Charter email address in Mail Settings Lookup link that I provided earlier, I would expect that it would result with two servers: an SMTP server for sending (outgoing) emails and an IMAP/POP3 server for receiving (incoming) emails. Even if you have multiple email accounts with Charter I can't imagine why they would require different servers than these.

I'm curious, what were your results when you entered your Charter email account in that link? Is this the same email address that you use with your iOS devices?

Aug 20, 2017 9:19 AM in response to jfrillici

Thanks for reporting back. The Mail Settings Lookup is not 100% flawless, but it should be able to determine the email servers for most, if not all, major email providers ... so I'm a bit surprised that your Charter email address did not come up with the Charter servers. Charter uses the same email servers for both mobile and non-mobile devices.

Charter's email domain is: @charter.net. I would expect then that your email address would be something like: YourUsername@charter.net. If this is correct, then the proper servers would be:

IMAP

mobile.charter.net

Port: 993

SSL: Yes

SMTP

mobile.charter.net

Port: 587

SSL: Yes

Ref: Adding a New Email Account in Apple Mail - Spectrum

Aug 20, 2017 11:21 AM in response to jfrillici

I know what the settings are; however I can't get beyond the first page. When I put in my email address and password and hit continue, it just keeps spinning and finally gives the message "unable to verify account name or password."

I know the account name and password are correct as they work on all my other devices. If I could get beyond the first screen, I know the settings for the remaining screens, but I can't get beyond the verification screen.

I am trying to add my charter email account to my macbook air.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.