Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I have airport mode on my Apple Watch will the Activity still track

Posted on Aug 18, 2017 2:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2017 5:50 PM

Hi

Yes - both the Activity app and Workout app will still track your activity when your Apple Watch is in Airplane Mode.

For Apple Watch Series 2 models (which have built-in GPS), for outdoor walking, running, cycling and open water swim workouts that are recorded via the built-in Workout app (or third-party apps that support the feature), a route map will also still be recorded for your workout. This will be synced to the paired iPhone once the devices are reconnected and can be viewed via the workout summary in the Activity app on your iPhone.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 18, 2017 5:50 PM in response to nanaoffive

Hi

Yes - both the Activity app and Workout app will still track your activity when your Apple Watch is in Airplane Mode.

For Apple Watch Series 2 models (which have built-in GPS), for outdoor walking, running, cycling and open water swim workouts that are recorded via the built-in Workout app (or third-party apps that support the feature), a route map will also still be recorded for your workout. This will be synced to the paired iPhone once the devices are reconnected and can be viewed via the workout summary in the Activity app on your iPhone.

Jan 9, 2018 7:14 AM in response to Mr stupid

Whatever reason the OP has for using airplane mode doesn’t matter to us, the question is valid and on topic for this area. From my own experience yesterday I was working on a ship away from land based cellular signals. The ship provides a satellite linked local cellular service for passengers but using it costs an arm, both legs and probably several children sold into slavery. £6 (U$10) per megabyte is excessive, so the obvious cost avoidance is to go dark and save the battery life. Then there are those of us who want to get on with work and avoid management distractions!

Jan 9, 2018 5:27 PM in response to Branta_uk

Sometimes an inane comment like my previous comment generates a response which gives much more information as in your case. I now appreciate your particular needs, I have learned something more about how these devices are used and I apologise if I gave any offence.

I am am usually trying to help but sometimes my English sense of humour and sarcasm pop out.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.