Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what if previous owner of phone is deceased and i cannot turn off the find my phone feature?

I would like to turn off the "find my iPhone" feature but the previous owner is deceased. What are my options?

iPhone 5

Posted on Aug 18, 2017 6:05 PM

22 replies

Aug 18, 2017 6:08 PM in response to TomHyde

Activation Lock Problem

It requires the Apple ID and password of the legal owner. If you don't have it and cannot get it, then the device is useless to you. Return it for a refund, if you can, or take it to an Apple store for an exchange provided they will help you.

Find My iPhone Activation Lock

If you can't activate your iPhone - Apple Support

You would need the device, proof that you inherited it from the deceased, a certified copy of the Death Certificate, proof that the decedent was the legal owner (receipt, box, etc.) and proof of who you are. Take this to the local Apple Store where they may be able to help you.

Aug 18, 2017 6:29 PM in response to TomHyde

Depending on where you are located you will need a copy of the will (showing it was left to you), the death certificate and a letter testamentary. If you were not mentioned in the will but the executor of the estate chose to let you have it then get a copy of the letter testamentary and a document from the executor stating it is now legally yours. It will work even better if you take that person with you.

Aug 18, 2017 6:36 PM in response to deggie

I'm kinda doubtful if that will help. I don't know if Apple is willing to get involved with wills and inheritances.

When my mother died some ten years ago, I learned some weird things about wills. For example, her will was written in Pennsylvania in full compliance with Pennsylvania law. She died while a New Jersey resident and, because the will did not meet NJ legal requirements, it was not valid!

Aug 18, 2017 6:43 PM in response to Philly_Phan

Already been there done that more than once. Apple has no choice but to get involved and they generally are very helpful but you have to have the correct paperwork and follow their instructions. I'm all for Activation Lock but if Apple took a stance that all iDevices held by people who recently died become unusable they would have many judges issuing contempt citations in a lot of states. The first time I knew someone with this issue they wanted Apple to give them the passcode, Apple ID password, etc. which Apple couldn't and wouldn't do, in that order. But they had no issue clearing the iPhone and iPad when the proper documentation was presented. When my mother died I waited to finish the inventory of property and have it approved by the probate court prior to proceeding. I am the executor so it made it a bit easier.

I guess Pennsylvania and New Jersey have to civil agreements on probate, not surprising. This is why it is recommended that if you move you make out a new will unless there is such a compact in the new state. Or you can probate the will in the state where the will was made.

what if previous owner of phone is deceased and i cannot turn off the find my phone feature?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.