Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot send texts to some of my contacts via iMessage

I have anew iPad Pro. I cannot send messages to some of my contacts. I get a error message when I tap on their name that they are not registered. I also have an iPhone and I can send messages to those same people from it. I also am not receiving messages from them on my iPad although I am receiving them on my iPhone. I have checked all my settings and they seem to be correct.

iPad Pro Wi-Fi, iOS 10.3.3

Posted on Aug 19, 2017 9:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2017 12:03 PM

I understand that, but with my old iPad I could send messages to these same people. I don't understand why I can't do it with this one. I do wonder if some of the apps that have updated today may have messed something up.

6 replies

Aug 19, 2017 11:42 AM in response to Sunny1941

iMessage is a free internet messaging service from Apple but it only works between Apple devices that are registered to an iMessage account. Your iPhone can send both iMessages to Apple users, as well as regular old SMS texts to anyone with a cellular telephone. Your iPad cannot natively send SMS texts since it is a data connection only device and cannot connect to any carriers cellular telephone voice network (SMS messages are sent over the cellular voice network, not the cellular data network).

In the iOS messaging app iMessages will send as blue bubbles, and SMS as green.

You can pair your iPhone and iPad so the iPad can share the iPhone’s SMS/MMS texting capabilities though - see Use Continuity to connect your Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple Watch - Apple Support for instructions

I cannot send texts to some of my contacts via iMessage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.