Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Option for 4K at 60HZ on MacBook Pro 2017

I can not change my external Asus MG28U display to output at 4K at 60HZ. The monitor is in 4K 60HZ mode, the hub I am using outputs at 4K at 60HZ. I only get the option to output at 30HZ at 4K. I am using an HDMI cable at the moment. Also for whatever reason when I am in 4K output resolution, everything appears too small to read and HIDPI does not come up as an option to enlarge anything. My MacBook Pro has the 4GB Radeon graphics so should be no problem at all to mirror onto this display. Thanks guys!

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017), macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Aug 19, 2017 11:05 AM

11 replies

Aug 19, 2017 3:32 PM in response to Ahaucha

Hi,

Your display, adapter and cable have to meet these criteria:

HDMI displays

You can use 4K displays and Ultra HD TVs at the following resolutions and refresh rates via the built-in HDMI port of your Mac:

• 3840 x 2160 at 30Hz
  • 4096 x 2160 at 24Hz (mirroring is not supported at this resolution)

The MacBook (2015 and later), MacBook Pro (2016 and later), and iMac (2017 and later) support these resolutions and refresh rates over HDMI 1.4b when using the USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter with macOS Sierra 10.12 or later:

• Up to 1080p at 60Hz
  • 3840 x 2160 at 30HzThese computers also support 60Hz refresh rate over HDMI when used with a supported HDMI 2.0 display, HDMI Premium Certified cable, and a compatible third-party USB-C to HDMI 2.0 adapter.

Using 4K displays, 5K displays, and Ultra HD TVs with your Mac - Apple Support

Nov 19, 2017 8:04 AM in response to Ahaucha

Lots of folks are trying to run HDMI for 4k at 60Hz. HDMI was never originally intended to go that fast. It was built for 1920 by 1080p.

The "electrically-equivalent" DVI supports wider displays by adding three more color signals to its interface to reach display widths above 1920 wide. This is called Dual-Link DVI, and it requires the extra signals (and special cables that carry them) to get to those wider widths. Otherwise the signal speeds (to get that much more data onto each screen) are on the verge of impossible to create, run across a cable, and receive -- they are just too fast.

You can sometimes push HDMI to do 4K at 60Hz if absolutely everything breaks in your favor. The right interface, the right cables, the right settings in BOTH the computer and the display. But it is far beyond the way this interface was originally intended to work, and despite doing everything "the right way" sometimes it just does not work.

--------

DisplayPort -- both Mini and Full Size variants (which differ only in the size of the connector) was designed from the ground up to run at faster speeds like 4K at 60Hz. The signal levels use lower Voltages for faster switching times. Most of the signals, and especially the color signals use push-pull drivers and receivers for low noise at higher speeds. And once the screen has been painted once, only the changes are sent across the cable, reducing the data rates required.

The downside is that a DisplayPort display requires a screen buffer in the display. So the displays may be a little more expensive. But the results are far better, without having to fiddle with it.

executive Summary:

If your display has a DisplayPort option, do not struggle with the multiple hacks required for HDMI. Go directly to DisplayPort.

Aug 20, 2017 4:20 PM in response to Ahaucha

4K 60 Hz works best with Mini DisplayPort (or DisplayPort). Many HDMI adapters, including the Apple one, limit it to 30Hz.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MJ1K2AM/A/usb-c-digital-av-multiport-adapter

"This adapter allows you to mirror your Mac display to your HDMI-enabled TV or display in up to 1080p at 60Hz or UHD (3840 by 2160) at 30Hz."

If you have to use HDMI, get an adapter that supports 4K 60 Hz, such as:

http://www.belkin.com/us/F2CU038-Belkin/p/P-F2CU038/

Aug 19, 2017 2:49 PM in response to Esquared

Yes. I am using an USB Type C to HDMI 4K 60HZ adapter. I am also using an HDMI 4K 60HZ Monster Cable to go from my adapter to the monitor. Everything is rated for 4K at 60HZ but the option is still not available. Also HIDPI mode is missing and is not accessible even if I hold alt/option and click the scale radio button. I had to Install a third party program to change my resolution to a 4K HIDPI resolution.

Nov 19, 2017 7:28 AM in response to Ahaucha

I was able to do this at 24hz with my 2015 Macbook 12" by opening a terminal window and entering:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist DisplayResolutionEnabled -bool true

After that I simply restarted my system and new 2x (HiDPI) options where available.

It works beautifully and maintains that "Retina" feel on larger screens. I was a happy guy in front of my 55" 4k HDR screen until...

I purchased a loaded out 2017 Macbook Pro expecting I could do the same to make use of my 4k HDR Sony display. I was wrong. There seems to be no way I could find to get HiDPI to work. I am returning my 2017 MacBook Pro feeling a bit let down by my inability to get it to do what I need it to and frustrated by an apparent lack of explanation why my 2015 basic Macbook (non-pro) can achieve better results with my screens than the loaded 2017 Macbook Pro.

No Option for 4K at 60HZ on MacBook Pro 2017

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.