Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have an Airport Extreme, hardwire through ethernet to Express

I have a new Airport Extreme, I have just bot 2 new Airport Express.

I have been able to extend the network via WIFI and using Airport utility, however, I want to hardwire one of my Express instead, through an Ethernet (internet plug connection).

My Extreme is on the second floor, connected to the internet(I guess the modem) and the Express I want to plug into the internet connection, which is in the first. (notice it is not a direct cable connection one to the other, but instead plugging in my Express to an internet plug on the first floor)

I figure I will have greater bandwidth and speed if I do this?

Can it be done? how do I configure, I tried simply plugging into the internet connection downstairs, and it un configured my system. Can anyone help me?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.5)

Posted on Aug 20, 2017 10:24 AM

15 replies

Aug 20, 2017 10:58 AM in response to alberto299

Yes, it does work when I plug it into the internet outlet downstairs.

Thanks for confirming that for me.

My guess is that I am not configuring the Airport express correctly for it to be hardwired to the internet plug, and communicate with my Extreme? My Express in now configures to extend my WIFI, and sometimes it goes amber on me telling me it cant find my DNS?

You guessed correctly, but it is a common error as Apple doesn't always do a great job explaining the different ways you can extend a Wi-Fi network their base stations.

When the connection between base stations is wireless, the the "Extend a wireless network" option would be the correct setting. However, when the connection between them is wired, the setting you want to use is: "Create a wireless network."

That is because, when interconnected by wire, you are setting up a roaming network ... and these perform significantly better than an extended one where you lose about half the bandwidth doing so.

To fix this, I would suggest the following:

1. Disconnect the Express from power.
  2. Perform a "factory default" reset on the Express.

With this type of reset the base station will be in its "out-of-the-box" configuration. Which is a wireless Internet router that will broadcast an unsecured Wi-Fi network with a network name of something like: AirPort Express NNNNNN

3. Re-connect the Express to power.
  4. The AirPort Express should now appear on your Mac on the Wi-Fi icon's drop-down menu.
  5. Select it, and the AirPort Utility should start up.
  6. Just go through the automated steps and the Express should end up properly configured for a roaming network with the Extreme.

Aug 20, 2017 10:48 AM in response to Tesserax

Hi Tesserax,

Thanks for the quick reply!

Yes, it does work when I plug it into the internet outlet downstairs. My guess is that I am not configuring the Airport express correctly for it to be hardwired to the internet plug, and communicate with my Extreme? My Express in now configures to extend my WIFI, and sometimes it goes amber on me telling me it cant find my DNS?

I then unplug it, go to airport utility, and usually, it comes back up, and green again. Below an image of what is currently running, it's the first Express you see in the image that sometimes goes amber. Anyway sorry for side tracking, is there a way I can have it connect through the internet plug to the Extreme upstairs?

Thanks for your help regarding this.

User uploaded file

Aug 20, 2017 12:28 PM in response to Tesserax

ok, followed your instructions, after some crazy stuff going on, the whole system seemed to crash, everything on airport utility seemed whacked out. I lost internet connection, which I have now regained. (some heart stopping, freaking out moments, LOL) .

I am back up on the internet, after disconnecting and reconnecting my extreme several times. this is what the configuration looks like now: (there are numerous iterations), the last one being the current. It seems when I connect my Macbook Pro via ethernet I got the last one, system is very unstable.

my mmmy mUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Aug 20, 2017 12:42 PM in response to alberto299

Based on the last image from the AirPort Utility that you provided, the following would be true:

1. An 2nd gen 802.11n AirPort Express, a 802.11ac Extreme, and a 802.11n Time Capsule are all connect to the Internet via Ethernet.
  2. Presently the two other Express base stations are not available.

So, your network configuration seems to be growing beyond your original post.

• What is the make & model of the network device that is directly connected to the Internet?
  • Are the five base stations in the image the only other routers in your current network configuration?
  • Will all of the be connected back to the "main" Internet gateway by Ethernet?
  • What is your networking goal for each of these base stations? Extending? Streaming? Some combination of both?

A few other suggestions:

• Use a base station name that is 16-characters or less that does not include using special characters or spaces in the name.
  • Assign a static local IP address to each of your base station so that they will be easier for network clients to "find."
  • I am assuming that you have a genuine need to have this many base stations. Do you? That is, is the construction or size of your home require all of these?
  • Start simple. Setup a single base station and verify it can provide Internet access. Then add, one-at-a-time, verifying access before adding another.

Aug 20, 2017 10:34 AM in response to alberto299

If you temporarily connect your MacBook Pro to the "Internet plug" on the first floor can it access the Internet? If not, then the wall port is not connected back to where you get your Internet access from.

Typically, in a home where it is pre-wired with Ethernet, there is Ethernet cable runs inside the wall from the wall port back to a central location. This where the modem would be located.

Aug 20, 2017 11:12 AM in response to Tesserax

Ok, when I do a factory reset, I have nothing connected to the Express right? (no internet connection) or power?

For the Factory reset, I understand I have to get a blinking light? At what point after that do I connect the internet cable to the Express? Use Lan or Wan? and then connect to power?

I understand I use the exact same name for the Network, so the setting should be a "new network"? Sorry for all the questions here, but I imagine there is a certain order to the steps I have to take. Want to get it all right.

Thanks

Aug 20, 2017 11:27 AM in response to alberto299

Ok, when I do a factory reset, I have nothing connected to the Express right? (no internet connection) or power? For the Factory reset, I understand I have to get a blinking light? At what point after that do I connect the internet cable to the Express? Use Lan or Wan? and then connect to power?

Before you do the reset, disconnect the Express from both power and Ethernet. As you will read, to perform the reset, you would hold down the reset button, and then, plug the base station back into power. When the reset has completed you will want to remove it from power once more.

Then connect it first to Ethernet. (You should connect it to the WAN (circle-of-dots) port.) Finally, connect it to power so now both connections have been made.

I understand I use the exact same name for the Network, so the setting should be a "new network"?

You don't have to worry about naming the network. The AirPort Utility will take care of this for you as it will realize that you are trying to set up a roaming network.

Sorry for all the questions here, but I imagine there is a certain order to the steps I have to take. Want to get it all right.

No need to be sorry. Ask all the questions you like. This is how we all learn from each other.

Aug 20, 2017 12:47 PM in response to Tesserax

Tesserax, You did it man!! Whoooo! Yeah!

I am all good, as per the last picture included below.. It just took a while to stabelize.. What seemed to work is that I had to manually insert the Network's name, and that started things going.. Man o man, thanks, awesome.. couldnt have done it without your help. Learnt alot along the way..

Great job!!

I have an Airport Extreme, hardwire through ethernet to Express

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.