Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error partitioning a Fusion Drive

I wanted a clean reinstall of macOS Sierra and went to the Disk Utility while booting my iMac (Late 2012, i5, 1 TB Fusion Drive). From the DU I removed a partition I no longer need and the whole thing crashed (beach ball for 3 hours). I pressed the power button on the back and restarted. Now that I have macOS installed I wanted to create a new smaller partition. But I get always this error message:

The request would shrink one of your Core Storage physical volumes to a size of zero. Try a more modest change in size.

User uploaded file

It doesn't matter if I use DU on macOS directly or with CMD + R.

I don't know that to do and how to get rid of that error. Any idea?

sams-iMac:~ sam$ diskutil cs list

CoreStorage logical volume groups (1 found)

|

+-- Logical Volume Group 8A9F7B65-12FE-407B-9273-778D6F75E059

=========================================================

Name: Macintosh HD

Size: 123212259328 B (123.2 GB)

Free Space: 114688 B (114.7 KB)

|

+-< Physical Volume E4B44055-08E2-43EE-A804-3B9136AAA325

| ----------------------------------------------------

| Index: 0

| Disk: disk0s2

| Status: Online

| Size: 120988852224 B (121.0 GB)

|

+-< Physical Volume 77A70BD0-9A8C-4C8A-998E-5E94B628BB3F

| ----------------------------------------------------

| Index: 1

| Disk: disk1s2

| Status: Online

| Size: 2223407104 B (2.2 GB)

|

+-> Logical Volume Family DB66C229-0FB1-4AE4-8B29-1A3064A9864D

----------------------------------------------------------

Encryption Type: None

|

+-> Logical Volume 3A2982DF-D0B9-45C8-8D10-85C16BBFED6C

---------------------------------------------------

Disk: disk2

Size (Total): 114704777216 B (114.7 GB)

Revertible: No

LV Name: Macintosh HD

Volume Name: Macintosh HD

Content Hint: Apple_HFS

LVG Type: Fusion, Sparse

sams-iMac:~ sam$

Posted on Aug 20, 2017 2:16 PM

12 replies

Dec 28, 2017 10:28 AM in response to dialabrain

Hi, I have the same/similar problem. Tried this solution (How to fix a split Fusion Drive - Apple Support) but I still have the partitions and the same problem.

History:

- It all started when I did a clean install. I didn't know that APFS wasn't supported for Fusion drives only during installation I got a message to join a beta program. Didn't want to do that, so I tried to reformat the drive back but got an error: "Unrecognized file system."

- Then did the macOS Recovery. This installed macOS Sierra (not High) but run into the same problem as with High Sierra: "An error occurred while preparing the installation. Try running this application again." (I did that multiple times).

- So then I partitioned the drive (didn't know that was an issue too) and I could install macOS on the 2nd partition, but it skipped the SSD drive, so all benefits of a fusion drive lost.

Now:

I tried the (How to fix a split Fusion Drive - Apple Support) but that didn't solve my problem. If I use Disk Utility and click on partition and remove one (disk0 is not allowed to delete) and click "Apply" I get the error: "Unrecognized file system."

How can I fix this?

Aug 20, 2017 6:08 PM in response to suntrop

I have found trying to either partition or re-partition a fusion drive to be a more than frustrating experience (which refused to work no matter what I tried for 2 days). In my case, I returned the Mac after one week due to some other problems and I decided I want a hard drive I can control. In any case, you can only create one partition on a fusion drive. Second, you may want to try to recreate the fusion drive by using internet recovery > Disk Utility > erase > reinstall the OS. The best way out of this would be if you had made a bootable clone before all of this: boot into it, erase the internal, and clone back the system. When all of this is done and your fusion drive is back to normal, you can try to create one partition.

Aug 23, 2017 3:03 AM in response to babowa

The CMD + Opt + Shift + R was a Mountain Lion recovery. It made it even worse and I couldn't install ML (ended with error every time) at all.

I downloaded Sierra again and made a bootable external HD. Before I fixed the Fusion Drive with the link from dialabrain. Even if my FD wasn't split, but it made a new Core Storage

Aug 23, 2017 9:01 AM in response to babowa

I don't know what "original" refers to – the one that came with the Mac, or the latest original. Problem with that ML version was it couldn't end the installation, because the recovery partition (?) couldn't be created. A bad loop

Anyhow my message above wasn't supposed to be offending in any kind :-)

Thanks again for you help!

Aug 23, 2017 9:30 AM in response to suntrop

No problem - just wanted to clarify. And "original" refers to what the Mac came with (except that pre-download versions such as Snow Leopard can't ever be downloaded, so the system will install the next possible version). That process usually will fix fusion drive problems as it will take it back to factory specs, but you must use internet recovery and, depending on which OS you're on, there are different key combos now.

Dec 28, 2017 11:44 AM in response to Gbrec

Contacted Apple support:

There is a "mistake" in the manual: "How to fix a split Fusion Drive - Apple Support" It reads:

1. Turn on your Mac and immediately hold down Command-R or Option-Command-R to start up from macOS Recovery. Release when you see the Apple logo or a spinning globe.

This should be changed to only: "Option-Command-R". for Internet macOS Recovery mode.

Once I followed the manual using Option-Command-R at startup, it worked.

Error partitioning a Fusion Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.