Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud locked how to unlock device

Know the process

iPhone 6, iOS 10.3.1

Posted on Aug 21, 2017 12:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2017 2:04 AM

Hi

Activation Lock prevents unauthorised use of the iPhone if it is lost or stolen.

If the iPhone is locked to your own account, but you are having issues with your credentials:

It may help to follow the instructions here:

If you still need assistance, contact Apple Support or make a Genius Bar reservation, taking along your iPhone and your original proof of purchase for it:

If the iPhone is pre-owned and is instead locked using the previous owner's credentials:

• Then it can only be disabled by the previous owner either entering their Apple ID and password on the device or by them removing the iPhone from their devices list in Find My iPhone via iCloud.com.
  • If you cannot arrange for either of these steps to be taken, then you will be unable to use the iPhone.
  • Apple will not advise you of the previous owner's contact details, nor will Apple pass your details on to them.

There is no way around this security feature.

More information and instructions:

Turn off Find My iPhone Activation Lock - Apple Support

24 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 21, 2017 2:04 AM in response to Satyajit94@

Hi

Activation Lock prevents unauthorised use of the iPhone if it is lost or stolen.

If the iPhone is locked to your own account, but you are having issues with your credentials:

It may help to follow the instructions here:

If you still need assistance, contact Apple Support or make a Genius Bar reservation, taking along your iPhone and your original proof of purchase for it:

If the iPhone is pre-owned and is instead locked using the previous owner's credentials:

• Then it can only be disabled by the previous owner either entering their Apple ID and password on the device or by them removing the iPhone from their devices list in Find My iPhone via iCloud.com.
  • If you cannot arrange for either of these steps to be taken, then you will be unable to use the iPhone.
  • Apple will not advise you of the previous owner's contact details, nor will Apple pass your details on to them.

There is no way around this security feature.

More information and instructions:

Turn off Find My iPhone Activation Lock - Apple Support

Apr 5, 2018 9:23 PM in response to Satyajit94@

that is just no good! i just did buy an iPad on the street and I couldn't check the iCloud lock because wasn't connected to internet, so I only checked the screen lock and when I enter to the system i could only get to the step of wifi connection, now that I get home and tried to synced to my account it just let me get to the iCloud lock which i don't know. apple should have a way to help people as me that spend our money with no bad intentions on them products, at least they should provide emails from the original owners or the buyer so they can have them things back or whats next for the buyers that are stock with products like me with a loss of money and a waste of product.

iCloud locked how to unlock device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.