Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disable IPv6

I am running Sierra (10.12.6) and am having problems with Internet connectinity that I believe may be caused by IPv6. Is thera way to disable IPv6 to force use of IPv4?

In network settings to Configure IPv6 I have no "Off" option, just "Automatically", "Manually" & "Link-local only". I have also tried "networksetup - setv6off Wi-Fi" through the command line but this didn't result in any changes from what I can see.

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Aug 21, 2017 5:30 AM

10 replies

Aug 22, 2017 7:37 AM in response to Swift Chris

Yes I have seen your new thread also , as per this article :What is IPv6? - Apple Support

IPv6 offers other networking advantages. In most cases, computers and applications will detect and take advantage of IPv6-enabled networks and services without requiring any action from the user. IPv6 also relieves other networking issues that can arise due to the limited number of addresses available on IPv4. For example, IPv6 reduces the need for Network Address Translation, a service that allows multiple clients to share a single IP address, but is not always reliable.

To test your IPv6 connectivity, you can visit Test your IPv6.

You can click on test your IPV6 link , and whats the point of switching to IPV4 , you have to contact your servicer provider you must be using broad band connection .

Aug 21, 2017 6:52 AM in response to Swift Chris

If you are using an Apple Airport Extreme BaseStation or Time Capsule, then Launchpad : Other : Airport Utility. Click the router image, choose Edit, and click the Internet tab on the Utility panel. Then click Internet Options... and set the Configure IPv6 to Link-local only. Click Update to apply the changes and reboot your router.

Disable IPv6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.