Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do i remove macOS Install data

So i found out that there was this folder called macOS install data on my mac and i wanted to delete because i read forums and past questions and all the answers were "Yes you can delete it."

So i was trying to delete it but I'm not to sure on how to do it. There is no option of "move to trash." and i can't drag it in because it will say "macOS install data can't be modified or deleted because it is required by macOS."

So anyone got any suggestions on how to do this?User uploaded file

User uploaded file

MacBook Air, iOS 10.3.3

Posted on Aug 21, 2017 1:44 PM

3 replies

Oct 28, 2017 7:48 AM in response to max0039

That won't solve the issue.

The directory appears to be locked down by a process called System Integrity Protection. You can't delete the locked files even if using sudo from the terminal.

I don't have a solution yet, though I think the process will involve rebooting from a recovery disk and disabling SIP.

As to the reason why this may be necessary, there is a bad macOS installer image on my laptop. The Apple beta installer acquired through the App Store is not working, but at every startup or wake-from-sleep, the system is trying to boot from it, resulting in an endless cycle of failed starts.

My workaround is to hold the option key at ever start, and manually select the still-working HD boot. I'd like to remove the bad installer and start over, but can't find a way.

How do i remove macOS Install data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.