Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

need to connect an external superdrive to my MacBook Pro mid 2012

The in built cd/dv drive no longer reads or burns discs with out chatter and distortion. I bought aan external superdrive but the mac trells me it will not run. There must be a wy of making the MBP recognise the external superdrive, isn't there?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012), iOS 10.3.3

Posted on Aug 21, 2017 5:04 PM

7 replies

Aug 22, 2017 12:36 AM in response to Cunnla

Thanks for this very helpful tutorial its definately something I'll consider once I can get the external drive to connect and run. Thats the primary goal at the moment.

I have another possible method to try tonight (Use the Apple external SuperDrive on (almost) any Mac - Mac OS X Hints) after some serious reading to ensure I follow every step-thanks Kappy

Aug 22, 2017 12:58 AM in response to flambe3

Some of the other external super drive equivalents with tray-load can do well.

There had been reports of these being useful, because they can use other

shape media that won't work in the built-in slot loading DVD/CDRW player.

Brand names escape me, but ones such as LG and others had been mentioned.

Certain model Macs with built-in optical drives are more or less difficult to replace.

Mac Upgrades for CD/DVD/Blu-ray Optical Drive - OWC macsales

also

'SuperDrive' Blu-ray, DVD/CD Optical Drives w/ FireWire, USB & eSATA.

There are a few that may or may not require additional third-party software to use

for recording on media. ~ Note some from OWC macsales, external tray-loading

as these often include software. They also offer blue-ray, for those who need it.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Aug 22, 2017 4:14 AM in response to flambe3

once I can get the external drive to connect and run. Thats the primary goal at the moment.

As Kappy said, the external drive is wired to run only on Macs that have no internal optical drive. So you have to get rid of the internal drive first.

I have exactly the same model of Macbook Pro -- nonRetina -- and although there was nothing wrong with the optical drive I replaced it with a HD as part of an upgrade to SSD for my startup disk. I now use the optical drive as an external optical drive. However, since upgrading to Sierra, the built-in DVD player on the MBP no longer works. I use VLC, a free open-source player that works just as well as the Apple DVD player.

need to connect an external superdrive to my MacBook Pro mid 2012

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.