Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to stop login items to keep coming back?

Hello,

I'm running the latest version of macOS Sierra on a brand new MacBook Pro. I'm trying to edit the login items but the items I remove keep coming back after I restart the computer. Also, items that I add to the list are not started when I login (and do not show up in the list after restart). I have re-installed the macOS and tried what was described on this post (Login Item keeps returning) but nothing has solved the problem. Does anybody have any other ideas?

Thanks,

Eduardo

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Aug 22, 2017 9:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2017 10:13 AM

Try to remove login plist to the desktop and what Eric suggested is also to be applied .

User uploaded file

My experiences say that if deleting the plist will not work , I would straight away clean the hard drive and reinstall the OS ( no its and buts ) a straight forward decision .

13 replies

Aug 22, 2017 9:28 AM in response to egmartins

As per this article : OS X Yosemite: If you think you have incompatible login items

Login items are apps that open automatically when you start up or log in to your Mac. Occasionally, a login item may cause a blank blue screen at startup or other problems.

Another article : OS X Yosemite: Open items automatically when you log in

Temporarily prevent items from opening automatically when you log in

If you see the login window, press the Shift key while you click the Log In button, then release the Shift key when you see the Dock.

If you don’t see the login window, restart your Mac, hold down the Shift key when you see the progress bar in the startup window, then release the Shift key after the desktop appears.

Aug 22, 2017 9:30 AM in response to KimUserName

Hi Kim,

Thanks for the response. Yes, I'm doing all you mentioned in the System Preferences. I've also tried using the apps preferences but they have nothing about launch at login in there.

Other issues I'm having is that apps I'm choosing to hide are not being hidden and Apps I'm adding to open at login are not being started (and are removed from the list after restarting the computer).

Eduardo

Aug 22, 2017 9:40 AM in response to egmartins

Might be a corrupt .plist.

Do a backup, preferably 2 backups on 2 separate drives.

Quit the application.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library. Then go to Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist. Move the .plist to your desktop.

Restart the computer, open the application, and test. If it works okay, delete the plist from the desktop.

If the application is the same, return the .plist to where you got it from, overwriting the newer one.

Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

Aug 22, 2017 9:54 AM in response to Eric Root

Hi !

Eric , by deleting system preferences plist from user library > preferences folder is fine on the desktop is fine .

Restarting the machine and again entering system will create a new plist ( its a property of safari ) .

If we are dragging and dropping the corrupted plist over to the same place , it means we are overlapping the corrupted plist that was on the desktop to the plist that was in user library > preferences folder .

So , the plist still remains corrupted .

Then, directly drag the plist to the desktop , if every thing works fine delete the plist into the trash .

How to stop login items to keep coming back?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.