Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone locked to first sim and network used?

I don't see many of these post when I search, so I figured I'd explain my situation and post my own. I bought an iPhone 7 128gb model back in January from Walmart as what I thought would be an "unlocked" iPhone that I'd be free to use on any network. I swapped my sim from my 6s and popped it in my new phone and used it with Straighttalk for about 6 months. I decided to leave Straighttalk and use Verizon Prepaid service, but it wouldn't work in the phone, instead it took my through the activation screen over and over again. After discussing it with Apple and seeing the phone is locked to Straighttalk's network I am still at a lose. This phone was not a Straighttalk iPhone (Straighttalk doesn't sell the 128gb model) it was a "sim free" phone so I thought. After discussing the matter with Apple they stated to me I had to have Straighttalk unlock the phone. When I spoke with Straighttalk to have them "unlock" my phone they tell me the phone is already unlocked and isn't a Straighttalk iPhone that I should be able to use it on any carrier (since it was technically a byop it doesn't exists in there data base). I'm looking to see if anyone has an resolution to this issue, the phone is locked to the Straighttalk's network some how but neither party tells me they exactly know "why" or how to resolve it. I even spoke with Walmart where I purchased the phone from and they were just as confused. Understanding now the phone locked its self to the network by using a Straighttalk network sim first in the phone, I need to find a resolution as to how to "unlock it". I've spoken with many Straighttalk representatives and "managers" all tell me the phone is not registered in there database and it is "free to use on any network", Apple Store employees show me the phone is locked to Straighttalk. I am at a complete brick wall.

Other things I've tried

-resetting network settings

-resetting/restoring phone from iTunes on the computer

-placeing all different types of sims in the phone (none work)

There's other things I tried, I just can't remember all. Please help!!!

Posted on Aug 22, 2017 10:21 AM

40 replies

Jan 31, 2018 3:11 PM in response to Jordanl6495

That makes a lot of sense. I actually had to reserve the iPhone 7 at a few Target stores (before the iPhone 7 came out), before I could find a store that was willing to sell me one, without activating it on one of the "Big Four" cell phone carriers (i.e., AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, and Verizon). I got the impression that they weren't contractually allowed to do so, but I eventually managed to find an employee who was either (a) willing to bend the rule, or (b) wasn't aware of it.

I also have a possible solution:

After many dozens of phone calls — some of them hours long — to Straight Talk, Verizon, and Apple, I finally got an Apple senior advisor to get feedback from an Apple engineer. After waiting a few days, I heard back:

The Apple senior advisor told me that the Apple engineer said that the key that had apparently been missing for me is that the Straight Talk SIM needs to be in the iPhone, while the iPhone is restored to factory settings, in order for the phone to be unlocked.

Obviously, one has to ask Straight Talk to unlock the phone first, and get them to actually do their part to get it to happen — which, as I explained in my previous message, may take a number of phone calls to their unlocking department (which can be reached directly at 888-442-5102 from 8am to 11:45pm EST), and may take up to 48 business hours.

In the process of trying to unlock the phone, I had restored it to factory settings a number of times, but not with the Straight Talk SIM in the phone.

For better or for worse, I threw in the towel, after a week with no service — before I heard back about the Apple engineer's advice — and switched back from Verizon to Straight Talk. As soon as my friend gets a chance (it's her phone, not mine) I will guide her through the unlock process, and post the result here.

To confirm whether the phone is unlocked, without signing up for new service, all you need to do is call Apple (or, more accurately, ask them to call you, through their support site), ask to speak to a senior advisor, and ask them to look up in their system whether your phone is unlocked. I plan to do that after going through the unlock process prescribed by the Apple engineer.

What is not clear to me is whether Straight Talk's service needs to be active, in order for the unlock to work. So if you switch to Verizon (or another carrier), and cancel your Straight Talk service, can you still unlock the phone, without first switching back to Straight Talk? That is not clear to me. If one of you wants to try that, and let us know whether it works, I imagine that would be very helpful to most of us struggling with this problem.

Mar 21, 2018 3:25 PM in response to moskovit

moskovit wrote:

By the way, Apple strongly advises not removing or inserting SIM cards while one's phone is powered on. They say it can destroy the SIM card. I, like you, did so, a few times, with no ill effect — so apparently, the risk is minimal. Still, to be safe, I would advise everyone here to power down your phone, before inserting or removing a SIM.

Really? Never heard say ro recomment that. In fact even their support documents make no mention of turning off the iPhone before removing the sim card.

There is no reason to, as there is no real power going from the card to the iPhone or the iPhone to the card.

If anybody is recommending powering off the iPhone they are mistaken.

Remove or switch the SIM card in your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

In fact the manual even has you turn on the iPhone before inserting a sim card.

iOS 11- iPhone - User Guide - Apple Support

Aug 22, 2017 5:33 PM in response to cccourttney

Straighttalk support is either lying or mis-informed. Escalate through

the Straighttalk support chain. Apple employees have told you

the iPhone is locked to Straighttalk - in that case only

Straighttalk can unlock it and you will have to resolve the matter

with them.

FYI: sim-free is not the same as unlocked.

What does it say when you look at Settings>General>About>Carrier?

You may have to scroll to see the entry for Carrier.

Aug 22, 2017 3:47 PM in response to cccourttney

There’s nothing that Apple can do for you in this situation.

If it’s locked to a carrier, only Straight Talk can unlock your phone. Log into your Straight Talk account using a web browser. You can see the status of your contract there. That’s also where most carriers have a form to request an unlock.

Be warned, that if you signed a contract, you might be bound to ST until you meet all conditions for unlocking.

Aug 22, 2017 3:55 PM in response to imobl

It says "TFW 28.2.5" previously when I inserted the Verizon Sim the phone wouldn't let me past the activation screen but the carrier did change in the settings to "Verizon" once the SIM card was removed and I could move past the activation screen again. It seems that way and Straighttalk should be responsible for the unlocking unfortunately their customer service is horrible and I can't get to anyone high enough to speak seriously with me about the situation. Many representatives have just hung up as I have been going through this for over a month now.

Aug 22, 2017 4:00 PM in response to Rysz

No contract was signed, the phone was not purchased through Straighttalk and is not a Straighttalk phone. I had purchased the phone "sim free" from Walmart and used Straighttalks byop for a few months like I previously did with my former iPhones. Just trying to see if anyone else many have a similar situation and could help. Thank you for your comment.

Aug 22, 2017 4:11 PM in response to cccourttney

There’s nothing that Apple can do for you in this situation.

If it’s locked to a carrier, only Straight Talk can unlock your phone. Log into your Straight Talk account using a web browser. You can see the status of your account there. That’s also where most carriers have a form to request an unlock or end your service.

Aug 22, 2017 4:32 PM in response to cccourttney

cccourttney wrote:

. This phone was not a Straighttalk iPhone (Straighttalk doesn't sell the 128gb model) it was a "sim free" phone so I thought.

While Verizon can use any unlocked iPhone 6/6+ or 6S/6S+ regardless of the network for which they were first sold, they won't accept an iPhone 7 that was not intended for sale on their network. That includes a "sim free" or unlocked iPhone that you might buy from Apple. In other words, the version of iPhone 7 you have cannot be made to work on Verizon's network.

Aug 22, 2017 4:48 PM in response to cccourttney

cccourttney wrote:

Verizon had already assured me the phone was acceptable and ready to be used on there network.

I'm pretty sure whoever told you that was misinformed. If that were true, all you would need to do would be to put the Verizon SIM in the phone. The fact that you can't do that means the phone is not one that will work on Verizon.

Did you talk to Verizon customer service over the phone? Or did you talk to someone in a store? If so, was it a corporate Store? Or an authorized reseller?

Aug 22, 2017 5:35 PM in response to cccourttney

Just to clarify.

Most iPhone re-sellers do not sell truly unlocked iPhones. They sell sim free, iPhones that will generally lock to the first carrier used to activate them.

The iPhone from Walmart could have been activated with any U.S. carrier and it would have locked to it upon activation.

In your case the carrier was StraightTalk.

At this point its locked to StraightTalk and only they can unlock it.

iPhone locked to first sim and network used?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.