Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting iMovie files

So I've looked around on here and people are saying to delete iMovie files via the 'All Events' section and not via the iMovie Library in the Finder window.

But according to the iMovie Library i have 126GB of data but in iMovie events i only have a handful of files show up.

Shall i just delete via the iMovie Library?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), macOS Sierra (10.12.1)

Posted on Aug 23, 2017 7:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2017 8:04 AM

If you are talking about deleting projects from the iMovie Library package contents, no, do not mess with that. To do so could corrupt your library. (The package contents are what you see when you control-Click on the iMovie Library icon in your movies folder, and select Show Package Contents in the drop down menu.)

To delete files in iMovie you delete the project, and then go to All Events in the media side bar and delete the event that bears the project name. Delete the Event itself, not just the contents in the event. Then you can check in the iMovie Library package contents and you will see a Trash folder that contains what you have deleted. The next time you open iMovie the Trash folder and its contents will automatically delete.

-- Rich

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2017 8:04 AM in response to mackyousir

If you are talking about deleting projects from the iMovie Library package contents, no, do not mess with that. To do so could corrupt your library. (The package contents are what you see when you control-Click on the iMovie Library icon in your movies folder, and select Show Package Contents in the drop down menu.)

To delete files in iMovie you delete the project, and then go to All Events in the media side bar and delete the event that bears the project name. Delete the Event itself, not just the contents in the event. Then you can check in the iMovie Library package contents and you will see a Trash folder that contains what you have deleted. The next time you open iMovie the Trash folder and its contents will automatically delete.

-- Rich

Aug 24, 2017 5:28 AM in response to Rich839

Im confused... Let me try and re word this.

- I have 6 projects in my 'All Events' in iMovie

- I have 126GB of all my previous projects I've worked on in the Library Folder

- Exploring the Library i can see some folders are empty which will be projects I've deleted.

- Some folders are not empty for example... I found a folder containing a file that i used for a promo video i did last November. This is nowhere to be seen in iMovie but its in the Library.

I would just delete from the Library but I've read on these forums that it can corrupt folder?

Aug 24, 2017 8:20 AM in response to mackyousir

If you see an empty iMovie project in your iMovie Library that means that you didn't properly delete the project. After deleting the project you need to delete the project event itself in the All Events folder, not just the clips in the event. When you delete the project event (Select/File/Delete) the project will disappear from your iMovie Library. I would not delete anything directly from the iMovie Library. I deleted a project from there once and it corrupted my library. Fortunately I had a backup.

-- Rich

Dec 24, 2017 6:50 AM in response to mackyousir

So after all this time I'm still struggling to see how this is so difficult?

So I'm running low on disk space due to this issue. To test if there was some 'hidden files' of some sort going on Ive done the following -

I started out with just over 2gb of disk space.

1. Open a new movie

2. Dragged in file which is 2gb

3. Deleted the files from the movie

4. Checked the other folders in iMovie to ensure its deleted.

5. Went to the iMovie Library in Finder window

6. The was a folder titled 'movie 10' which was the name of the project and in there was no data, so all was deleted.

However i now only have 1.5 GB of disk space available?

What is going on?

Dec 24, 2017 9:09 AM in response to mackyousir

Hi, again,

It is a bit confusing so I can understand your frustration. The procedure that you followed will only delete a clip from a project, but not from the iMovie library. It still remains in the system.

If you want to delete a clip permanently from the system you must delete it from the iMovie library itself, that stores in the finder all imported clips -- in a folder titled Original Media. To access the Original Media folder from within iMovie, select a clip in the library media browser or in a project and do a File/Reveal in Finder. A pop-up folder will appear showing your selected clip highlighted. Delete the clip from there to remove it from the system.

You can also access the Original Media folder for a project by doing a control-click on the iMovie Library folder located in your Movies folder. Then click on Show Package Contents. Your projects will be listed there and when you click on them a subfolder will appear containing the Original Media folder for that project. However, as I mentioned in an earlier post it is best not to mess with anything in the Show Package Contents. Instead, delete it from within iMovie as described in the previous paragraph.

When you delete a clip permanently from the iMovie library it will remove it from all projects that may be using the clip, not just the one you are working with, essentially disabling those projects.

Hope this helps.

-- Rich

Dec 25, 2017 2:57 PM in response to Rich839

After I upgraded to the most recent version of iMovie (10.1.8) from 8.0.6, I now have two "libraries" - Library 1 is 48.57GB, I don't know how big Library 2 is because it does not show up in Finder. This "Library 1" appears to be the storage place for everything I did before this month, when I upgraded. It is in addition to all of my media, my projects and my events, and it's huge. They never took up this much space before. The original media files are 1-2GB each mostly, and there's only a dozen or so of those. My iMovie Events folder is 35.02GB, but somehow altogether my Movies folder takes up a whopping 106.37GB. I use MOVAVI Video Converter to convert the YesVideo files to mp4s, and tried to keep my output under 1GB, but wanted the highest quality, so sometimes the files were more like 10 GB. My brand new 2017 iMac came with 251GB of flash storage, and it keeps filling up. I guess if I am going to continue to make home movies, an external hard drive is necessary - that just seems so inefficient. I wonder if Adobe or Movavi movie software creates such huge libraries, but then they probably couldn't import the projects just as they are.

Deleting iMovie files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.