Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Q: iPhone 6 battery suddenly draining fast

Recently my iPhone 6 has had a few battery issues, draining rapidly at random without nothing running in the background. This morning it went from 85% charged to 22% within minutes, so needing to use the phone today I plugged it in to charge and when I did it instantly jumped to 70% there wasn't time to get it to 100% before it went out so I unplugged it and an hour later it's down to 28%. Some days it'll hold charge without any problems other days it can drop to nothing (yesterday when it dropped to 1% (when it had been at around 35% previously) I turned the phone off, a few minutes later I turned the phone on again and it was at 34%.

I only noticed this since it went to ios10.

iPhone 6, iOS 10.3.3

Posted on Aug 23, 2017 12:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2017 3:18 PM

Hello Nabeel,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Community. I understand you’re having some trouble with your battery running down faster than expected, and displaying erratic chargee percentages, and I have some information that may help.

Have a look at the articles below for some helpful troubleshooting steps.

Start with this article. It will help ensure your settings are setup for the best battery life.

Batteries - Maximizing Performance - Apple

If the issue persists, follow the excerpt from the article below to reinstall iOS 10 to correct any potential corruptions that may be shortening your battery life. If you don't already have a backup, it is recommended that you make one before reinstalling

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support
If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Put your device in recovery mode and set it up again

1. Make sure that you're using the latest version of iTunes.
  2. If iTunes is already open, close it. Connect your device to your computer and open iTunes. If you don't have a computer, borrow one from a friend or go to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for help.
  3. While your device is connected, force restart it with these steps:
    • On an iPhone 6s and earlier, iPad, or iPod touch: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons at the same time. Don't release the buttons when you see the Apple logo. Keep holding both buttons until you see the recovery mode screen.
    • On an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Volume Down buttons at the same time. Don't release the buttons when you see the Apple logo. Keep holding both buttons until you see the recovery mode screen.
      User uploaded file
  4. When you see the option to Restore or Update, choose Update. iTunes will try to reinstall iOS without erasing your data. Wait while iTunes downloads the software for your device. If the download takes more than 15 minutes and your device exits recovery mode, let the download finish, then repeat these steps.
    User uploaded file
  5. After the Update or Restore completes, set up your device.

Get more help

If you can’t update or restore your device with recovery mode, or you can't use recovery mode because of broken buttons, contact Apple Support.

If you run into any trouble, please reach out again.
​Best Regards.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 24, 2017 3:18 PM in response to NabeelAhmedSiddiqui

Hello Nabeel,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Community. I understand you’re having some trouble with your battery running down faster than expected, and displaying erratic chargee percentages, and I have some information that may help.

Have a look at the articles below for some helpful troubleshooting steps.

Start with this article. It will help ensure your settings are setup for the best battery life.

Batteries - Maximizing Performance - Apple

If the issue persists, follow the excerpt from the article below to reinstall iOS 10 to correct any potential corruptions that may be shortening your battery life. If you don't already have a backup, it is recommended that you make one before reinstalling

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support
If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Put your device in recovery mode and set it up again

1. Make sure that you're using the latest version of iTunes.
  2. If iTunes is already open, close it. Connect your device to your computer and open iTunes. If you don't have a computer, borrow one from a friend or go to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for help.
  3. While your device is connected, force restart it with these steps:
    • On an iPhone 6s and earlier, iPad, or iPod touch: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons at the same time. Don't release the buttons when you see the Apple logo. Keep holding both buttons until you see the recovery mode screen.
    • On an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Volume Down buttons at the same time. Don't release the buttons when you see the Apple logo. Keep holding both buttons until you see the recovery mode screen.
      User uploaded file
  4. When you see the option to Restore or Update, choose Update. iTunes will try to reinstall iOS without erasing your data. Wait while iTunes downloads the software for your device. If the download takes more than 15 minutes and your device exits recovery mode, let the download finish, then repeat these steps.
    User uploaded file
  5. After the Update or Restore completes, set up your device.

Get more help

If you can’t update or restore your device with recovery mode, or you can't use recovery mode because of broken buttons, contact Apple Support.

If you run into any trouble, please reach out again.
​Best Regards.

Oct 14, 2017 11:04 AM in response to NabeelAhmedSiddiqui

You are not alone. I had the exact same problem with the iphone 6, starting about September 2017. Dramatic drops in power from 100% to 60% to 10% for no apparent reason. Went to the apple store and they now have a diagnostic they can run that confirms that the battery is officially "Consumed".

Those are nice words that really mean: Apple Engineers specified a battery in the iPhone6 that doesn't last longer than 3 years and its up to the consumer who paid nearly $800 for the largest memory version of the phone to decide whether to pay $80 at the Apple store to have the battery replaced, take a risk with a 3rd party to replace the battery, or spend another $800-$1000 on a replacement phone. On top of that, they make you wait a couple hours at the store and don't even employ the technology to text you when its ready.

The good news is that for the thousands of people having this problem -- its normal and expected and you don't have to waste time reinstalling the OS and all those time wasting activities. Its simply a fact that the Iphone 6 battery is not designed to last long and Apple fully knows this as their diagnostic tools now confirm it.

Q: iPhone 6 battery suddenly draining fast

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.