Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade graphic card or buy new iMac

I have a mid-2011 iMac 27" and the graphics card has failed. Local shops can replace it but it will run close to $800. I can buy a new card but I've never taken one of these machines apart. I've looked at online tutorials and while it looks like I could do it I'm not 100% confident I'd do it right. Part of me says I have nothing to lose since it's not working anyway. But another part of me says I may be far better off buying a newer iMac since my current one is so much older. I've located refurbished machines through reputable sites like Apple, B&H Photo, etc. and they're not a heck of a lot more in money but certainly more current in hardware and performance.

I've probably answered my own question but I would like input from others who have traveled this road before. Thank you.

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), 16 GB RAM

Posted on Aug 24, 2017 3:48 AM

14 replies

Aug 24, 2017 4:16 PM in response to Crash777

That would be a challenge, I think. When my PS went, I opened up the iMac, & removed the HDD. Got a hard drive docking station (as well as having a Carbon Copy clone) to copy any stuff over from an older OS X partition if needed. Maybe an option would be to review these Apple links from 'Using Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac':

Restore everything:

• To restore everything in your Time Machine backup, use macOS Recovery.
  • To copy the files, settings, and user accounts in your backup to another Mac, use Migration Assistant.

Aug 24, 2017 5:18 AM in response to Crash777

A replacement GPU won't be cheap as they are all custom made

(beware of places like EBAY as you could be getting one in any

manner of condition).

You could take a chance and do it, as you said it is not working anyway,

but you would need to add the cost of that card (and tools) to a replacement

Mac.

Personally, I would replace the Mac with a newer one and donate the

broken one to some electronics technician school (vo-tech maybe) or

properly recycle.

Aug 24, 2017 5:27 AM in response to Crash777

I was facing the same type of situation; power supply went out, which meant a new logic board. Return on investment was a key factor --- went with a 27" iMac, so I can upgrade RAM as needed, and CarbonCopy'd the old iMac over to the new one. I had upgraded to macOS Sierra on the old one previously, worked great. So happy I went that route! The 17,1 iMac is great.

Aug 24, 2017 3:53 PM in response to Crash777

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

New question: if I go the route of a new iMac would it be possible to transfer the old hard drive contents over to the new machine without removing it? I won't have any way to know what's on the old screen so I'm assuming it's not possible. I do use Time Machine and have a fairly recent copy.

Sep 4, 2017 5:33 PM in response to Crash777

what did you end up doing may I ask. The same thing has happened to me, I have a 2011 mid, 27 inch 3.4 ghz quad core Sandy Bridge with 20 gb of ram. I am just curious as to what you did. I don't want to start over and I have windows based laptop but I love my imac. Please write back...thanks. Here in MN it is about $500 to replace but then other parts could go and this not a good graphics card anyway?

Upgrade graphic card or buy new iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.