Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Kernel Panic on Mac Pro 1.1

Hello all,

This is my first post here and I hope my issue can be resolved!

Over the last month I’ve been working on this old Mac Pro 1.1. The upgrades I’ve made so far include installing OS X Lion on an SSD, installing 32GB of RAM, and soon to upgrade the CPUs to Intel Xeon x5365s. On the OS I upgraded the firmware from 1,1 to 2,1 and upgraded the SMC. I’m looking to install El Capitan once all the hardware upgrades are made.

Today, however, I’ve ran into this odd kernel panic message after I installed a Vapor-X Radoen HD 5770 graphics card (purchased used on eBay and was flashed to be compatible with Mac Pros 1,1 to 5,1/OS X 6 and newer). Upon booting a black Apple logo appears and then the kernel panic pops up.

I am not really sure what is causing the issue. I went back in to see if any cables were unplugged on the motherboard or if the graphics card wasn’t seated properly but that all looked fine. I even took the RAM out and put it back in just in case that would do anything.

Does anyone know what could be causing the problem and what can be done to fix it?

Thanks!

User uploaded file

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7), Kernel Panic upon Boot

Posted on Aug 24, 2017 3:27 PM

17 replies

Aug 25, 2017 10:13 AM in response to gregstj114

That CPU 3 is the one detecting the error is total coincidence.

The problem is likely caused by the extensions shown, which all just came off your boot drive. If those are, in fact, the correct versions, they are likely damaged.

My recommendation would be to do a fresh install. The EFI partition will only be replaced when you do a fresh install, not an update.

Aug 25, 2017 11:16 AM in response to gregstj114

a 16GB drive is not big enough. The Installer is about 5GB, but some of what it installs is compressed. I think of it as Installing about 12GB about 10.6.8, and much more as later versions come out, to the point where you should be thinking it is installing about 20GB where you want to end up.

When it is done Installing, it needs an additional 9GB to start up properly. If this has never worked this way before, that space shortfall could easily be the cause of the problem you are seeing.

I had a 32GB SSD drive for a while, which I bought when SSD drives first became available. It was fine for 10.6.8, but quickly became just too tight to be useful, so it had to be retired/used for troubleshooting and nothing more.

When you are having problems, it is always best to do what will keep things simple. Then change one thing at a time, and each problem is manageable. If instead you change everything all at once, and it becomes an unmanageable disaster.

Aug 25, 2017 1:30 PM in response to gregstj114

You could easily use either of those SATA drives.

Your Mac is only directly supported for Installing up to 10.7. Beyond that, if you wish to go there, requires some hobbyist hacks.

The reason those older Mac Pro 2006 and 2007 models are not supported directly, as their firmware provides only 32-bit mode support. To add 64-bit firmware on top of the existing 32-bit firmware requires some hobbyist hacks, to run the additional firmware out of main store instead of control store. Each version you install requires the hacks be applied again. Luckily, you can jump straight to the version you want, without passing through others.

Aug 25, 2017 2:03 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Okay cool, I'm going to use my 1TB HDD as the main hard drive and I just formatted my old 320GB drive that came out of my MacBook Pro as the Lion bootable drive. So would it be best to not use my 120GB SSD? Just incase that could've been apart of the problem. That one came out of my homemade PC I made in school last year.

How would I go about doing those hobbyist hacks? When the Mac Pro was up and running I managed to change the firmware to 2,1 and updated the SMC. Also I went and changed the boot.efi file so El Capitan would be compatible. Was there something else I would have needed to do?

Aug 25, 2017 2:42 PM in response to gregstj114

Look for a site whose acronym comes from "sixty four on thirty two" and there is a how-to that tells what to acquire and how to make it go, with references to other sites as well.

These hacks are not so ugly as building a Hackintosh -- a frankenstein Mac that uses no Apple components, because they require the 32-bit firmware, running on a genuine Mac, to get started. (Apple discourages our discussing the steps here, which is why the codified response.)

Kernel Panic on Mac Pro 1.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.