Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I go back on an iPhone 7 Plus? Don't tell me to swipe

Please help. I just switched to Apple. There is no back button on my iPhone 7+. I am within the apple called Google Authenticator. I need to go back to the main page on that app to scan a QR code, but I can't. No online advice works. Swiping left to right only opens up different apps. I need to go back WITHIN an app.

Thanks!

Posted on Aug 25, 2017 7:05 AM

60 replies

Aug 25, 2017 8:04 AM in response to mileena

I am uploading a screenshot of Google instructions for the app for an iPhone. Also a screenshot of the app when I open it. The instructions say to hit the plus button on the app, but there is no plus button on my screenshot.

Google instructions for the app on iPhone:

User uploaded file

screenshot of the app:

User uploaded file

Where is the plus button so I can add a website?

Aug 25, 2017 8:49 AM in response to steevo_711

You're right Steve! I tried lightly touching and it worked! With my Samsung you had to press hard.

Also, I got it to work! I uninstalled and reinstalled and the plus button is now there!!

So somehow the Apple app store must have installed it incorrectly. It also just downloaded google photos by accident when I selected google authenticator.

Aug 25, 2017 7:07 AM in response to mileena

Pressing the home button will normally take you out of an app. However, navigation within a particular app is up to the app developer to design. I'm afraid if you tap the home button it will take you out of the app. I suggest you contact the app developer or check to see if the app has a help file to describe how to navigate within the app itself.

Aug 25, 2017 7:18 AM in response to mileena

Never in almost 10 of years of owning iOS devices (iPhones, iPods and iPads) have I ever needed a back button.

If that app is that poorly designed it cannot even let you easily navigate it, that's an issue with the App not the platform.

Perhaps understanding how iOS works instead of trying to get it to work exactly like Android may help.

Beyond that you are free to do as you wish with your devices. Threats don't work here as we donñt care what device you use or buy.

Aug 25, 2017 7:25 AM in response to mileena

mileena wrote:

Google doesn't design bad apps. Apple makes bad phones.

That single statement right there, in addition to your earlier reference to Samsung clearly identifies your prejudice. Because an app, designed by a company that provides the operating system for a device you have used in the past and seem to prefer, does not perform in the manner that you expect, it is a fault of the phone, when all the phone does is execute the code from the app. Interesting correlation.

Aug 25, 2017 7:41 AM in response to mileena

mileena wrote:

I will learn to use Apple. I just need to know how to go back. Telling that it is an app problem is not acceptable. Especially when it is google who is the designer. No need to insult google. I came here for help, not insults.

Why is it not acceptable? As indicated earlier, if you cannot navigate an app the way you expect, you ask the app developer to explain it. Like a help file. There is a link to the developer page from the app store page for the app. I found that by simply searching for the app in the App Store. Again, they designed the app, they know how it works, and can provide you with that information. No need to insult Apple either in your description of their phones.

Aug 25, 2017 7:54 AM in response to mileena

None of we fellow users can remove a post. Only the hosts (Apple employees) can do that.

You don't even know what 2FA is.

And you think insulting the intelligence of every person here is going to get folks to like, or help you? Of course we know what it is. Two Factor Authentication. The same system you can set up in iOS for your Apple ID and iCloud access.

I don't know about anyone else, but yes, I freely admit I am seriously biased against Google's apps. I use Google all the time for web searches. I prefer it. But I will not, for any reason, install their apps on any of my computers (Windows or Mac), or any of my mobile devices.

Why? Because they aren't "free". Every Google app (Chrome, Google Earth, etc.) collect marketing data on your web usage in the background the entire time you are using your computer, even if you don't have any of the apps open. The background functions continue to send a constant stream of your personal web use back to Google. It is anonymized (supposedly), but what I do, or where I go on the web is none of their business.

Aug 25, 2017 7:55 AM in response to mileena

Not sure what you mean.

You are not talking to Apple here. Everyone here is an iPhone user like you.

It seems that you have been given the answer to your question. It is a Google App issue. Simply ask Google or refer to the help pages for that particular app. If you need to know how to navigate within a particular app, then you would need to look to the app developer for those instructions.

Aug 25, 2017 8:08 AM in response to mileena

mileena wrote:

This is how apple treats new customers?

The Apple Store couldn't even find my Sprint account to transfer my phone over yesterday.

We aren't Apple employees. We are users volunteering our time to help other users. Attitude like that does not generally produce good results here.

iOS works differently to android. There is no back button, there's never been a back button and I don't see many complaining about the lack of a back button in the 10 years Apple has made and sold iPhones.

Apple designed the iPhone and the operating system to not directly require a physical button for Navigation, and in doing so, let the app developers have complete control of how the App works and flows.

Developers are responsible for designing their App so it can be navigated in. If Google chose not to add a way to go back to a previous screen that is on them entirely. They develop their App they are responsible for how it works. And they would have known the iPhone has no back button so would have to implement another way to navigate.

Other developers can make apps you can navigate in, and go back in without requiring a back button. why can't Google?

In fact they can, I have Google Chrome, Google Translate, and Google Search on my iPhone, and can navigate in them easily again without a back button. Why is there no option in Google Authenticator? I cannot say.

The screenshot in the App Store has a menu button in the corner. Which does not appear in your screenshot.

I would assume that menu has the options for navigation.

Beyond that, closing and opening the App may be the only way to go back, but again that is a design failure in Google's part.

It appears your version of the App is missing the top bar with the controls. Again I suggest closing the App completely and opening it again.

Double Click the home button, and swipe up the app screen shot to close it, then open it again.

Aug 25, 2017 8:28 AM in response to mileena

There was no page indicator after I posted.

That's a flaw with Jive, the third party software these forums run on. For whatever reason, if there are only two pages of posts, when you add a new one (still only two pages) and try to click forward to see your newly added post, the second page doesn't display correctly. You have to go back to page one, then click the forward arrow into page two a second time. The problem goes away once there's a page three.

How do I go back on an iPhone 7 Plus? Don't tell me to swipe

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.