Developer Forums relocated!

Need help with Apple Developer tools and technologies? Want to share information with other developers and Apple engineers? Visit Developer Forums at Apple.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Open a Java Console window? (OS 10.12.6)

I'm using some open source software on my desktop that can only be invoked from a Java console window. I went to: System Preferences>Java>Advanced and selected "Show console" ...but now what? I don't see any Java console window come up and I don't see anywhere in the Java preferences a way to bring up a console window.

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12.6), 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5 8GB RAM

Posted on Aug 25, 2017 8:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2017 4:55 PM

Sorry it took a while for me to respond. This seemed like a great idea, in fact I ran this not too long ago (must have been before March) and did see a console window but now when I go to Firefox, I get the message:

"Starting with Firefox Version 52 (released in March 2017), Firefox has limited support for plug-ins, and therefore will not run Java. Use the Java Control Panel to find the installed Java version. How to find the installed Java version

» Firefox and plug-ins FAQ"

I tried running it in Google and got a similar message. So I tried Safari. This worked better I think I actually did get a console window to come up (see attached screen snapshot) but as far as I could tell I wasn't able to execute any commands in it. The window is display only and won't let me type in new commands.

It also tells me that I need a new version of Java I'll try that but I don't think it's going to help. Is there some parameter I need to set to fix this? I do have a work around. I purchased a Windows (gack) laptop because I was having similar problems getting Eclipse (IBM's Java IDE and probably the most popular Java IDE) to run on my Mac. It kept telling me I had to install an OLDER version of Java to run Eclipse which just sounded crazy since I would be opening myself up to security holes that were fixed in the newer version. Various tech people gave me instructions for getting around this but while I'm a programmer, I hate messing with shell commands and low level stuff like that and I had some extra cash from a recent consulting gig so it seemed like the Windows machine was a good investment.

I hate to say it because I've been a loyal Apple customer since my first Mac around 1985 but it almost seems like Apple is returning to the bad old days where they didn't care about encouraging non graphics developers to use their platform. After all kinds of problems installing Eclipse on my Mac it installed perfectly on the Windows machine and I also see a way to get to the console from Eclipse. I have an open source tool (the Protege web ontology language editor from Stanford) on my Mac and I need the Java console for a tool that works with OWL files from Protege so was hoping to use it but I've installed Protege on my Windows machine and will try it there. But I'm still interested if there is something I'm doing wrong or I missed that would enable me to run a Java console in my Mac. Thanks for the suggestion, please let me know if you have further ideas.

User uploaded file

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2017 4:55 PM in response to JGatsby

Sorry it took a while for me to respond. This seemed like a great idea, in fact I ran this not too long ago (must have been before March) and did see a console window but now when I go to Firefox, I get the message:

"Starting with Firefox Version 52 (released in March 2017), Firefox has limited support for plug-ins, and therefore will not run Java. Use the Java Control Panel to find the installed Java version. How to find the installed Java version

» Firefox and plug-ins FAQ"

I tried running it in Google and got a similar message. So I tried Safari. This worked better I think I actually did get a console window to come up (see attached screen snapshot) but as far as I could tell I wasn't able to execute any commands in it. The window is display only and won't let me type in new commands.

It also tells me that I need a new version of Java I'll try that but I don't think it's going to help. Is there some parameter I need to set to fix this? I do have a work around. I purchased a Windows (gack) laptop because I was having similar problems getting Eclipse (IBM's Java IDE and probably the most popular Java IDE) to run on my Mac. It kept telling me I had to install an OLDER version of Java to run Eclipse which just sounded crazy since I would be opening myself up to security holes that were fixed in the newer version. Various tech people gave me instructions for getting around this but while I'm a programmer, I hate messing with shell commands and low level stuff like that and I had some extra cash from a recent consulting gig so it seemed like the Windows machine was a good investment.

I hate to say it because I've been a loyal Apple customer since my first Mac around 1985 but it almost seems like Apple is returning to the bad old days where they didn't care about encouraging non graphics developers to use their platform. After all kinds of problems installing Eclipse on my Mac it installed perfectly on the Windows machine and I also see a way to get to the console from Eclipse. I have an open source tool (the Protege web ontology language editor from Stanford) on my Mac and I need the Java console for a tool that works with OWL files from Protege so was hoping to use it but I've installed Protege on my Windows machine and will try it there. But I'm still interested if there is something I'm doing wrong or I missed that would enable me to run a Java console in my Mac. Thanks for the suggestion, please let me know if you have further ideas.

User uploaded file

How to Open a Java Console window? (OS 10.12.6)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.