You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I control iMac mouse/keyboard from Macbook via bluetooth?

Hi I would like to use my Macbook Air sitting in front of my iMac to control both by using the built-in trackpad and keyboard on the Air.

Didn't know of a suitable built-in option, so I found this aging app called teleport to get this working.

Problems arise because this is on wifi:

a) Says the data is not safe that travels between them over the network (like keystrokes). Not acceptable.

b) It feels slow and clunky when typing and mousing, unlike my bluetooth keyboard and mouse which are fast and responsive.

So I was hoping that there is a way I can pair the two via bluetooth and get the same snappy, safe (safer?) experience as I would with a dedicated keyboard and mouse/trackpad.

Thanks so much!!

MacBook Air, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Aug 25, 2017 10:54 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2017 3:40 PM

There are a lot of options, none of which requires any additional software.

Set up and use Back to My Mac - Apple Support

or

macOS Sierra: Set up and use screen sharing

or

macOS Sierra: Ways to share your screen, files, and more with others on your network

8 replies

Nov 13, 2017 12:12 PM in response to BobHarris

Hi, has anyone tried this combination?

- Mouse and Keyboard plugged to iMac (I use USB for both)

- Mac Mini connected to iMac for display and no keyboard and mouse connected to it

- Logged in to Windows 10 via iMac (Bootcamp)

- Logged in to Apple OS on Mac Mini

With above set up, will teleport allow me to use my keyboard and mouse that's connected to iMac (albeit on Windows 10) with Mac Mini? Will Teleport have a Windows-version that can be installed on Bootcamped Windows 10 and if we can, will it recognise Mini?

Thanks in advance.

Aug 29, 2017 8:38 AM in response to xroox

Thanks all. I'm not sure if this is the right option for me or not... But here is the setup I am looking to achieve:

User uploaded file

Or I could use a keyboard and mouse if necessary.

I was hoping the macbook trackpad and keyboard could control the iMac as though they were two separate computers. It doesn't make sense to stream a whole screen over wifi when the computers are right beside each other.

The teleport solution says it's not secure, and I also find it a bit laggy to type and mouse (no good).

Thanks!

Aug 25, 2017 6:18 PM in response to xroox

You can do what you want to do, but you use an app, not Bluetooth. There are apps that will allow you to share your keyboard and mouse between systems. They allow you to just drag the mouse off of one screen onto the screen of the other computers and from that point forward, your keyboard and mouse focus is on the other machine.

You can try Teleport

<http://www.abyssoft.com/software/teleport/>

although it may or may not work on Sierra. I used to use it back in the Snow Leopard days, before I got my larger screen iMac.

Synergy is a paid app that will do what you want as well

<https://symless.com/synergy>

You should be able even copy and paste via these apps.

Having said that, I personally use Screen Sharing between my iMac and my Macbook Pro when at work.

That way my Macbook Pro is just another window on my iMac. I do NOT even quit Screen Sharing on my iMac. When I return to work in the morning, and connect my Macbook Pro to the network, the iMac's Screen Sharing session just reconnects to my Macbook Pro auto-magically.

Screen sharing allows me to do copy and paste between the systems. And according to this web page, you can even drag and drop files between the system

<OS X El Capitan: Send files while sharing another computer’s screen>

Aug 29, 2017 12:21 PM in response to xroox

Teleport not secure is only an issue of you are using it on a public network or at work where you do not trust your fellow employees. At home, you only need to worry about other family members.

Teleport has not been updated in years. That it works is at least nice, and gives you an idea of what you can do.

You might try Synergy, even though it is paid for app. It is not too expensive.

The next level would be a hardware KVM (Keyboard, Video, Mouse) hardware box, and external USB keyboard and USB mouse (or a wireless mouse that uses a USB dongle that can be plugged into the KVM). Then depending on the KVM device, you either use a keyboard hotkey to switch between the 2 computer systems, or you have to press a button on the KVM to switch focus.

A physical KVM is going to be more expensive, than Synergy, and most likely less functional.

As for screen sharing. It is not that much bandwidth, and it only updates the screen when something changes. Also nothing says you can't use a dedicated Ethernet cable between the iMac and the Macbook Air (USB to Ethernet adapter would be needed for the Macbook Air).

At least give Screen Sharing a try. It can be done today, and you never know, you might find it "Good Enough". I say this while typing on my iMac keyboard, using my iMac's Magic Trackpad, typing into a Screen Sharing session hosted on my iMac connected to my Macbook Pro.

Back in the Snow Leopard days (10.6) I used Teleport, and it was useful, but that was before I got my iMac and I was using a much smaller screen on my PowerMac (PowerPC based) cheese grater Mac. I played with Teleport after getting the iMac, but found it simpler to use use a Screen Sharing session.

Can I control iMac mouse/keyboard from Macbook via bluetooth?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.