Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV without cable

This is probably a stupid question, but I just don't understand the benefit of Apple TV. I have one, and have several apps that I use, but I got it thinking I could "cut the cord" and stop paying for cable. However, most of the apps require that I have cable subscription anyway. What's the point? If I cancel cable, all those apps won't work, and I can choose to pay various subscription services $10/mo, and before you know it I'll be paying more than I paid for cable. Am I missing something obvious?

Posted on Aug 25, 2017 7:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2017 7:03 AM

if you have an appletv 4g you can get apps and what those apps require depend on the developer of the app

some content are free some cost a subscription some may require a cable subscription in some countries

it's all up to the developer of the app same as with an iPhone or ipad really

if you have an older appletv which does not support apps but have a preset of channels then you have the option of airplaying other content using iphones or ipads

if you have some special requirements in terms of channels or content you will forever rely on the whims of the providers of that content / channels, and then it can go from cutting the cord to getting 10 news cords

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 26, 2017 7:03 AM in response to Russell Page

if you have an appletv 4g you can get apps and what those apps require depend on the developer of the app

some content are free some cost a subscription some may require a cable subscription in some countries

it's all up to the developer of the app same as with an iPhone or ipad really

if you have an older appletv which does not support apps but have a preset of channels then you have the option of airplaying other content using iphones or ipads

if you have some special requirements in terms of channels or content you will forever rely on the whims of the providers of that content / channels, and then it can go from cutting the cord to getting 10 news cords

Apple TV without cable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.