Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro 2017 popping noise?!

Just got a 2017 Macbook Pro 13 inch with function keys about three weeks ago and I just started noticing in the past week a popping noise from both sides of the laptop. The noise happens randomly whenever I use my laptop and is not very loud, but pretty bothersome whenever im working or studying. Im not sure whether its from the speakers or not, but it seems to be coming from under both the left and right sides of the keyboard (more often on the right side, but still happens on the left). I looked on forums and saw that people were having a similar issue on the 2016 Macbook Pro but I have the 2017 and it still has the issue. The popping noise sounds very similar, but it is not nearly as loud on my macbook. I was just wondering if anyone else with the 2017 MBP had the same problem to see if this is a somewhat common issue or I was just unlucky and got a defective unit. Im thinking about waiting it out and seeing if a software update will do the trick before I take it over for an appointment but i'm also hesitant about the idea of having to repair a laptop that is almost brand new. For now, its bearable since the sound isn't very loud and doesn't happen that often (sometimes doesn't happen in a 1-2 hour period but other times happens two to three times or more in the same time span). The noise itself doesn't bother me that much, but the idea of the sound possibly being a sign of a larger hardware problem is what concerns me since I am a student about to start college and will rely on this laptop for at least the next four years. Please let me know if any of you have had the same issue or have any recommendations of what I should do. Thanks

MacBook Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.6), null

Posted on Aug 25, 2017 4:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2017 12:46 PM

Hi,

I would bring the Mac to an Apple Store “genius” bar for a free diagnosis and free repair if deemed appropriate: https://support.apple.com/contact I don't know how else you're going to have peace of mind for years to come worrying if it's going to get worse.

21 replies

Oct 22, 2017 6:01 PM in response to ChristopherES

ChristopherES wrote:

Just a quickie to recommend you take it straight to Apple store whilst under warranty. I did so last week. The store was too noisy for them (or me) to hear any popping on my MacBook Pro (2017 / 15-in / touchbar)

In another thread you state you have a 2016 (Re: Macbook Pro Popping Sound: The Worst Experience in Customer Support ever existed). Is it a 2016 or 2017?

Aug 26, 2017 12:50 PM in response to tjk

I think that's what I'm going to do. The only problem is that I'm worried I can't reproduce the sound because it happens very randomly when I use it. It also makes video evidence difficult as well but I'm going to try to start with capturing the sound on video before I take it in. Thank you!

Aug 26, 2017 1:41 PM in response to tsyao

Good plan. Run the video as long as you can, and if it makes the sound, then stop it right there so you can easily find it again. If not, start the video over if it runs out of tape/storage and keep repeating as necessary until you capture it. Hope you'll post back with results when this is over.

Aug 27, 2017 6:26 PM in response to tjk

Capturing it was easier than I thought as I was able to get it on two different occasions. Dropbox - IMG_1440.MOV

Dropbox - IMG_1418.MOV

It seems to be happening more frequently so I am going to take it in as soon as possible next week. Hopefully they acknowledge the problem and don't brush it off as something that is normal or too small of an issue to fix. Will keep updated

Oct 22, 2017 5:47 PM in response to tsyao

Hi there. Just a quickie to recommend you take it straight to Apple store whilst under warranty. I did so last week. The store was too noisy for them (or me) to hear any popping on my MacBook Pro (2017 / 15-in / touchbar) and the gentleman said he's not heard of the problem, then I showed him this and many other online discussions. He went out the back of the store and came back with 'Article EM992 from the Knowledge Base', which directed him to proceed to replace the display under warranty. It must be the lower part of the screen heating up and popping, but Apple knows about it and fixes it. I've now got my laptop back and all seems well after AUD$900 of service covered by warranty. Hopefully it'll stay that way.

Oct 25, 2017 6:30 AM in response to tsyao

The sound is absolutely coming from the speakers. The thing is, I don't see it indicating anything wrong with the speakers but rather the drivers (I think its a software problem).

To prove its not the speakers take some earphones or headphones put them on, then plug them into the jack on the laptop, you will hear the exact sound.

People have been saying it comes from putting the amplifier into sleep which causes the sound.

Here is a post from another forum which accurately describes when the sound occurs:

Any news on this? Definetly happens when the amp is turned off after playback. That takes 38 seconds in Safari and 32 seconds in iTunes. Does all 2016/2017 Macbook Pros have this?

A few years ago I bought three Nokia phones with this excact issue.

There have also been many discussions on using some basic software called Antipop which stops the audio output from sleeping and ultimately eliminating that sound.

Oct 29, 2017 11:48 PM in response to Community User

Sorry it took so long to reply! The first time I brought it in the genius was able to reproduce the sound and offered me a replacement for the speakers. I received it a couple days later with the new speakers and the sound was still there so I brought it in another time and they offered to send it to one of their repair facilities. A week later I went back to the store to pick it up and they told me they couldn't reproduce the sound so in in the end, nothing was done. I asked them to test it once again and they still came up empty. As of right now, the problem is still there as I need it for school and can't have them keeping it for testing. It's extremely frustrating because the problem is still there and happens almost every time I use my mac, yet they claim they can't reproduce the sound even when the first genius confirmed it was there as well. I will be taking it back in during winter break and will update you on my progress.

Oct 29, 2017 11:55 PM in response to Vzhh

I initially thought it was the speakers as well and had them replaced. My roommate also has the same macbook and has never encountered the "pop" that I have so i'm a bit skeptical that it is a software issue as the problem would likely be more widespread. Still, I will try it out and see what happens. Thank you for sharing!

Nov 1, 2017 1:45 AM in response to tsyao

My MBP 15" 2017 started having sound card issues too three months in.

Don't know if the High Sierra update is the cause, but the sound through speakers got terrible.

Lot's of crackling. No such issue when I use headphones.

Brought it to the store to get it checked. Staff could hear the issue right away, but only offered to take the macbook in for a week. Of course they don't offer a temporary replacement, which is bull because I need something for work.

Good product. Unfortunate circumstance. Bad service.

Nov 21, 2017 7:07 AM in response to tsyao

My Macbook Pro 2016 (touch bar) does this multiple times a day. Took it to the Genius bar last week and the guy who helped me heard it once. It's surprisingly loud, and doesn't sound like it's coming from the speakers. He said he wasn't familiar with the issue, and advised me to keep a log of the frequency. He thought perhaps it was something inside the computer "resetting itself" and that it might be normal.

It might be normal—TBD. But it's LOUD. And concerning.

Dec 29, 2017 5:08 AM in response to tsyao

To be honest, after multiple interactions with the Apple store and leaving my MacBook Pro 15" they even changed the ventilators which is one of the few moving parts of this laptop.

I escalated the case because I was already bored of spending so much time without my computer and finally Apple exchanged my laptop for a new one, with a stronger processor because they didnt have the model I had. Since then no more noises at all.

Jan 7, 2018 4:03 PM in response to tsyao

Yes, I hear a popping sound pretty much everytime I use my new MacBook Pro w touchbar. I had this for a year and final looked it up today to search youtube and apple to see if other new owners are hearing the same popping cracking sound. I thought the same is it just mine that is defective. Have you taken it in? What is the diagnosis? How long does it take for them to fix?

Macbook pro 2017 popping noise?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.