Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Red ring on apple watch

I am constantly on the move. I am not having trouble getting my steps or stand rings closed. I work out at least once a day sometimes twice. I can not get my red ring closed. Can someone please provide insight into how to get this ring closed what I need to do or changes to make.

''Thank you

VIN,iPhone 4, iOS 10.3.3

Posted on Aug 26, 2017 9:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2017 9:44 AM

Hi

You are referring the Move goal (Active calories / kilojoules, depending on your choice of unit) in the Activity app. In order to close the ring and meet the daily Move goal target, you must record sufficient activity.

Activity app estimations depend, in part, on your personal information. If Active calories are not being earned as expected for your activities, then it may help to check that your personal information is accurate:

On your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch (tab) > Health > Edit - tap and adjust items, then tap on Done.

When recording fitness activities, be sure to use the Workout app (or a third-party app) and to choose the activity type that most closely matches your workout, including choosing Other for workouts that are neither included within nor sufficiently similar to those in the main list. This enables your watch to use the most appropriate sensors and data sources when tracking results:

Work out with your Apple Watch - Apple Support

For example, with Apple Watch (first generation) and Series 1 models, the watch can access Location Services data from the paired iPhone if it is taken along during outdoor walking, running and cycling workouts. Series 2 models have built-in GPS.

During general daily wear and when using the Workout app to record workouts when GPS data is either not relevant or not available (eg Indoor Walk), the Activity app and Workout app track your arm motion (measured by the accelerometer) when estimating results including pace and progress towards the Move goal.

For the best results, allow the arm on which you are wearing your watch to swing naturally as you move around during daily wear and to move as expected during workouts.

Resetting your existing calibration data and recalibrating your watch can improve the accuracy of estimations made by Activity app and Workout app. More information and instructions for calibrating your watch are available via the link below. (Resetting your calibration data will not erase your Activity history):

Calibrating your Apple Watch for improved Workout and Activity accuracy - Apple Support

You may also wish to consider changing your Move goal.

On Monday of each week, the Activity app provides a Weekly Summary via the Notification Centre on your watch. At the foot of the summary, a new Move goal may be suggested based on your previous performance, along with the option to adjust the goal.

The Move goal can also be changed at any other time:

• Open the Activity app on your watch:
    • When viewing the time on your watch face, tap on the Activity rings icon / complication.
    • Or go the Home screen (via a single press of the Digital Crown, when viewing the time on your watch) and tap on the Activity app icon (coloured rings).
  • Press firmly on the screen > tap on Change Move Goal > change the goal.

More information:

Use the Activity app on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Track daily activity

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 26, 2017 9:44 AM in response to khansen2012

Hi

You are referring the Move goal (Active calories / kilojoules, depending on your choice of unit) in the Activity app. In order to close the ring and meet the daily Move goal target, you must record sufficient activity.

Activity app estimations depend, in part, on your personal information. If Active calories are not being earned as expected for your activities, then it may help to check that your personal information is accurate:

On your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch (tab) > Health > Edit - tap and adjust items, then tap on Done.

When recording fitness activities, be sure to use the Workout app (or a third-party app) and to choose the activity type that most closely matches your workout, including choosing Other for workouts that are neither included within nor sufficiently similar to those in the main list. This enables your watch to use the most appropriate sensors and data sources when tracking results:

Work out with your Apple Watch - Apple Support

For example, with Apple Watch (first generation) and Series 1 models, the watch can access Location Services data from the paired iPhone if it is taken along during outdoor walking, running and cycling workouts. Series 2 models have built-in GPS.

During general daily wear and when using the Workout app to record workouts when GPS data is either not relevant or not available (eg Indoor Walk), the Activity app and Workout app track your arm motion (measured by the accelerometer) when estimating results including pace and progress towards the Move goal.

For the best results, allow the arm on which you are wearing your watch to swing naturally as you move around during daily wear and to move as expected during workouts.

Resetting your existing calibration data and recalibrating your watch can improve the accuracy of estimations made by Activity app and Workout app. More information and instructions for calibrating your watch are available via the link below. (Resetting your calibration data will not erase your Activity history):

Calibrating your Apple Watch for improved Workout and Activity accuracy - Apple Support

You may also wish to consider changing your Move goal.

On Monday of each week, the Activity app provides a Weekly Summary via the Notification Centre on your watch. At the foot of the summary, a new Move goal may be suggested based on your previous performance, along with the option to adjust the goal.

The Move goal can also be changed at any other time:

• Open the Activity app on your watch:
    • When viewing the time on your watch face, tap on the Activity rings icon / complication.
    • Or go the Home screen (via a single press of the Digital Crown, when viewing the time on your watch) and tap on the Activity app icon (coloured rings).
  • Press firmly on the screen > tap on Change Move Goal > change the goal.

More information:

Use the Activity app on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Track daily activity

Red ring on apple watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.