Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I GPT a flash drive so it will accept password protection - can I use Disk Utility?

How do I GPT a flash drive so it will accept password protection - can I use Disk Utility? When I click on it's icon and select encrypt it says I must GPT the flash drive. When I look at it in Disk Utility the Partition option is not highlighted and would I have to use a specific format for the disk?

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12.5), Corei7 2.93GHZ, 16GBMemory,

Posted on Aug 27, 2017 4:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2017 4:38 PM

Hi there, dansk12345,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. From your post, I understand that you are trying to set up a GPT (GUID Partition Table) with your flash drive. I'm happy to help!

The "Make sure that your storage device is properly formatted" section of the How to set up and use an external Mac startup disk article provides the following instructions on setting up GPT:

Make sure that your storage device is properly formatted

For best results, your external hard drive, thumb drive, SDHC or SDXC card, or other storage device should be formatted as Mac OS Extended, not FAT, ExFAT, or NTFS. And to function as a startup disk, it needs to be using a GUID partition map. Here's how to check:

1. Connect your external storage device to your Mac.
  2. Choose Apple menu () > About This Mac, then click the System Report button. Or hold down the Option key and choose Apple menu > System Information.
  3. Select Storage from the sidebar, then select your storage device from the list of volumes. Make sure that the Partition Map Type shown for your storage device is GPT (GUID Partition Table):
    User uploaded file

If your storage device isn't using a GUID partition map, you can follow these steps to create one with Disk Utility.This deletes all of the data stored on your device.

• If you're using OS X El Capitan or later, select your external storage device in Disk Utility. (Select the disk name, not the volume name indented beneath it.) Then click Erase and choose the GUID partition map scheme and any Mac OS Extended format before erasing.
    User uploaded file
  • If you're using OS X Yosemite or earlier, select your external storage device in Disk Utility. (Select the disk name, not the volume name indented beneath it.) Click the Partition tab, select your partition, then click the Options button. Select GUID Partition Table before partitioning.

Have a great day!
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 27, 2017 4:38 PM in response to dansk12345

Hi there, dansk12345,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. From your post, I understand that you are trying to set up a GPT (GUID Partition Table) with your flash drive. I'm happy to help!

The "Make sure that your storage device is properly formatted" section of the How to set up and use an external Mac startup disk article provides the following instructions on setting up GPT:

Make sure that your storage device is properly formatted

For best results, your external hard drive, thumb drive, SDHC or SDXC card, or other storage device should be formatted as Mac OS Extended, not FAT, ExFAT, or NTFS. And to function as a startup disk, it needs to be using a GUID partition map. Here's how to check:

1. Connect your external storage device to your Mac.
  2. Choose Apple menu () > About This Mac, then click the System Report button. Or hold down the Option key and choose Apple menu > System Information.
  3. Select Storage from the sidebar, then select your storage device from the list of volumes. Make sure that the Partition Map Type shown for your storage device is GPT (GUID Partition Table):
    User uploaded file

If your storage device isn't using a GUID partition map, you can follow these steps to create one with Disk Utility.This deletes all of the data stored on your device.

• If you're using OS X El Capitan or later, select your external storage device in Disk Utility. (Select the disk name, not the volume name indented beneath it.) Then click Erase and choose the GUID partition map scheme and any Mac OS Extended format before erasing.
    User uploaded file
  • If you're using OS X Yosemite or earlier, select your external storage device in Disk Utility. (Select the disk name, not the volume name indented beneath it.) Click the Partition tab, select your partition, then click the Options button. Select GUID Partition Table before partitioning.

Have a great day!

How do I GPT a flash drive so it will accept password protection - can I use Disk Utility?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.