Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

when search anything on apple music, an error occurred. Try again!

Hi, this only happen today with my Mid 2010 Mac Pro with OS X 10.9.5, when I open up iTunes, under "Browse" menu and type any artist or genre in the upper right corner search box... and this comes out: "An Error Occurred. Try Again" My Apple music account is active! I have never experience this before, it use to work just fine, but the strange thing is it works on my iPhone 7 under the same apple ID account! so then I tried to log out and log back in but still the same, I had even Deauthorise the computer and reauthorise it again but still no luck..... Restart the computer.. Nope! what could have happened? any clue?

Thanks in Advance!

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), Mid 2010 model

Posted on Aug 27, 2017 12:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2017 11:11 PM

Yep!, first of all perform a clean uninstall on your existing iTunes from your HD, then on the internet look for an earlier iTunes 12.XXX download it and install, then restart your computer... and "BINGO!!"

**Noted: Whatever below Ver 12.5 should work with no problem browsing iTunes, but Ver 12.5 and above... and you will get that stupid message: [An error occurred. Try again] For me, I have installed 12.3.3.17 and it works flawlessly!

Apple engineers should look into that matters, because it really S*CKS!

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2017 11:11 PM in response to K-Bo

Yep!, first of all perform a clean uninstall on your existing iTunes from your HD, then on the internet look for an earlier iTunes 12.XXX download it and install, then restart your computer... and "BINGO!!"

**Noted: Whatever below Ver 12.5 should work with no problem browsing iTunes, but Ver 12.5 and above... and you will get that stupid message: [An error occurred. Try again] For me, I have installed 12.3.3.17 and it works flawlessly!

Apple engineers should look into that matters, because it really S*CKS!

Aug 29, 2017 11:59 AM in response to andrewking96

You can try reinstalling the current version of iTunes from https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/ over the top of the existing one. Or see this guide to uninstall iTunes from a Mac: http://www.inforaid.com/how-to-uninstall-itunes-from-mac-os-x-best-method/ then restore one of these recent builds direct from Apple's secure servers:

iTunes12.5.5.5.dmg

(2017-01-23)

Tunes12.6.0.100.dmg

(2017-03-23)

iTunes12.6.1.25.dmg

(2017-05-15)

iTunes12.6.1.27.dmg

(2017-05-23)

iTunes12.6.2.20.dmg

(2017-07-19)

See also Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash for steps to roll back to the pre upgrade version of your iTunes database if required.

tt2

Aug 29, 2017 1:20 PM in response to turingtest2

Tried uninstall my existing iTunes and reinstall an earlier version from your link, but still the same: When type anything to search, "An error occurred. Try again"

But I think I just found out the real cause to this strange and stupid problem and that is: Mavericks 10.9.5 and iTunes 12 (All versions), I did a test with three external hard drives and each with different OS, they are A) 10.8.5 Mountain Lion, B) 10.9.5 Mavericks, and C) 10.11.6 El Capitan. Drives A & C both works perfectly fine with iTunes browser, except B) Mavericks! Perhaps you can try by yourself if you have a HD with OS Mavericks and the latest iTunes 12.6.

Thanks anyway!

Sep 4, 2017 1:11 PM in response to andrewking96

For whatever it's worth, I'm having this problem too, but was not the last time I used iTunes for anything a month or two ago. I just spent an hour on the phone with Apple support, got escalated to a "Senior Advisor". I ended up troubleshooting this quite thoroughly (in a former life I worked at Apple as a QA engineer... back when they actually had QA engineers...) and came to a pretty definitive conclusion - somewhere between iTunes 12.4.3 and 12.6.2, something broke with regards to Mavericks and searching local or Apple Music libraries. 12.4.3 works fine, 12.6.2 does not. During the call I was unable to fund this thread again to download a version in the middle, but I am doing so now. My memory is that 12.5.x also worked fine, but my memory could be wrong and now I'm going to verify that.

But definitely, there is an iTunes issue here. We took detailed system logs and uploaded them to Apple engineering, so someone will at least see this, though I frankly doubt any engineer at Apple will be willing to fix an obscure problem with an OS version many years out of date. Good to know though for anyone encountering this now.

Sep 4, 2017 1:31 PM in response to andrewking96

For further information, I have now tested uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes versions 12.6, and 12.5.5 onto my Mavericks iMac, and both still exhibit the same problem. 12.4.3 however works flawlessly, so this is definitely an iTunes > 12.4.3 issue.

My only problem now, is that my existing 12.6.x iTunes .itl file of course can’t be read by 12.4.3 iTunes, so I effectively lose access to my entire library if I stick with 12.4.3. So it’s a question of be able to search, or use my library. Definitely a no-win situation.

I know Mavericks is hopelessly out of date, but there are a LOT of people still using it, so I seriously hope this can be addressed in an update soon.

when search anything on apple music, an error occurred. Try again!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.