Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to factory reset an Apple Watch without the original paired iPhone

I sold my Apple Watch, Series 2, after performing a factory reset, yet when the watch arrived to the new owner, she says she is unable to pair her iPhone because it is STILL paired with mine. I am in Denver. She is in New York City. Is there any way to get her to factory reset mode without my iPhone? If yes, please let me know so I can provide the info to the new owner. Thanks much!

iPhone 6s, iOS 10.3.3, Pairing Apple Watch

Posted on Aug 29, 2017 4:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2017 4:23 PM

Hi

If you have already followed the steps here to remove Activation Lock (which your questions appears to indicate is the case - but if not, then follow the steps in the final section now):

About Activation Lock on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Then it may help if the buyer follows these steps:

On their iPhone: close the Watch app (double-press on the Home button, then swipe up on the Watch app preview).

Restart both their iPhone and Apple Watch, turning both off together, then restarting their iPhone first:

Re-try pairing and setting up the Apple Watch:

If the Apple Watch then remains locked by Activation Lock, then options include:

Accompany the buyer and the Apple Watch (which seems impractical in your case) to a Genius Bar appointment, taking along your original proof of purchase for the watch.

Or arrange for the Apple Watch to be returned to you, re-pair it with your iPhone and then unpair it via the Watch app to erase it and remove Activation Lock before returning it to the buyer.

Or contact Apple Support and explain that you have been unable to remove Activation Lock from an Apple Watch that you have sold:

Note that you should not disclose your Apple ID and password to the buyer, even if you change your password again afterwards:

Security and your Apple ID - Apple Support

More information:

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 29, 2017 4:23 PM in response to bryanfromcastle rock

Hi

If you have already followed the steps here to remove Activation Lock (which your questions appears to indicate is the case - but if not, then follow the steps in the final section now):

Then it may help if the buyer follows these steps:

On their iPhone: close the Watch app (double-press on the Home button, then swipe up on the Watch app preview).

Restart both their iPhone and Apple Watch, turning both off together, then restarting their iPhone first:

Re-try pairing and setting up the Apple Watch:

If the Apple Watch then remains locked by Activation Lock, then options include:

Accompany the buyer and the Apple Watch (which seems impractical in your case) to a Genius Bar appointment, taking along your original proof of purchase for the watch.

Or arrange for the Apple Watch to be returned to you, re-pair it with your iPhone and then unpair it via the Watch app to erase it and remove Activation Lock before returning it to the buyer.

Or contact Apple Support and explain that you have been unable to remove Activation Lock from an Apple Watch that you have sold:

Note that you should not disclose your Apple ID and password to the buyer, even if you change your password again afterwards:

Security and your Apple ID - Apple Support

More information:

How to factory reset an Apple Watch without the original paired iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.