Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I turn off ICloud photo library do photos remain on my mac in photos and Iphot

I would like to turn off ICloud photo library, but want to know if the photos in Iphoto and photos on my Mac will remain there.

If there are on my Mac, will they remain if I disable and delete ICloud photo library to open space?

Thanks

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Aug 30, 2017 4:05 PM

13 replies

Aug 30, 2017 4:31 PM in response to caefromvancouver

It sounds to me as though you might be disabling and deleting the library in the cloud as opposed to the one on your device.

If you go:

Settings ➔ Apple ID(Top) ➔ iCloud ➔ Storage ➔ iCloud ➔ Manage Storage ➔ iCloud Photo Library ➔ Disable and Delete on a mobile device or System Preferences ➔ iCloud ➔ Manage ➔ Photo Library on a Mac, you will disable and delete the photo library in the cloud.

But if you go

Settings ➔ Photos & Camera ➔ iCloud Photo Library ➔ Off on a mobile device or Photos ➔ Preferences ➔ iCloud ➔ iCloud Photo Library ➔ Off on a Mac, you will disable the syncing on that device but not delete the photos (assuming they aren't optimised.

Aug 30, 2017 4:56 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Re-written (hopefully for more clarity)...

There is a difference between disabling and deleting the library in the cloud as opposed to disabling the one on your device.

If you go:

Settings ➔ Apple ID(Top) ➔ iCloud ➔ Storage ➔ iCloud ➔ Manage Storage ➔ iCloud Photo Library ➔ Disable and Deleteon a mobile device or

System Preferences ➔ iCloud ➔ Manage ➔ Photo Library ➔ Disable and Delete on a Mac,

you will disable and delete (after 30 days) the photo library in the cloud.

But if you go

Settings ➔ Photos & Camera ➔ iCloud Photo Library ➔ Offor

Settings ➔ Apple ID(Top) ➔ iCloud ➔ Apps Using iCloud ➔ Photos ➔ iCloud Photos library ➔ Off on a mobile device or

Photos ➔ Preferences ➔ iCloud ➔ iCloud Photo Library ➔ Offor

System Preferences ➔ iCloud ➔ Photos (Options) ➔ iCloud Photo Library (uncheck) on a Mac,

you will disable the syncing of the library on that device with the library in the cloud, but not delete the photos in either place (assuming they aren't optimised on the device). If they are optimised you will need to download the originals (assuming enough room) if you want to keep them on the device.

Aug 31, 2017 12:55 PM in response to caefromvancouver

If you go to iCloud.com/Photos and delete photos, that will free up iCloud space. If any computer/device is syncing with iCloud Photo Library, the photos will be deleted there also.

Hold down the command key while selecting the photos. Then click Download. Another option is to select a Moment, then click the Share button, and then cancelling the Share. The photos should remain selected.

Jan 7, 2018 8:13 PM in response to caefromvancouver

iPhoto has no capability to do anything with iCloud Photo Library so nothing you do with ICPL will have any effect on iPhoto

For Photos if you Photos preferences are set to download originals to this Mac and if the status is updated just now then everything is on your Mac and turning ICPL off will not affect them

You can not "delete" iCloud Photo Library but if you turn it off the photos will be deleted from iCloud is 30 days

LN

If I turn off ICloud photo library do photos remain on my mac in photos and Iphot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.