Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't sign into iMessages on macbook

I can't sign into iMessages or FaceTime on macbook. It says "an error occurred during activation. try again".

MacBook Pro, iOS 10.3.3

Posted on Aug 30, 2017 9:13 PM

4 replies

Aug 31, 2017 12:45 PM in response to rickyboi87

Hi,

If you are doing this on an older version of the OS - AND - have 2 Step Verification enabled that Messages needs a Application Specific Password set up.

Sierra can use the Code numbers that appear in the case of most other apps for Messages in that OS.

IT can also be possible that the Apple ID you use in Messages is blocked by the iMessages servers.

That is to say the iMessages server only block the Apple ID when used on your Mac. It will work on an iPhone and iPad and even other Macs for Messages. It of course still works in other apps like the App Store and iTunes.

The cause is a security step gone mad.

On the one hand Apple know about this

On the other they never admit a problem until they have a fix.

Work though this Users Tip

When the iMessages account will not Login

The last section about Contacting Apple Support can be very slow and tedious.

1) In getting moved up the level of responders

2) Getting them to look at the server to see if the server is blocking your Apple ID

3) Getting the engineers to correct this in a suitable time frame.

Remember Apple ID issue are free to fix.

Last time I read anyone's feedback on this process the Level 2 responders were asking all sorts of set up questions about the Mac and asking for data grabs.

A Reinstall will not work.

How much you contribute to this is up to you.

Apple have been data gathering on this since Yosemite and it is still going on in Sierra with no clear idea on what causes it.

It effects all types of Macs using all sorts of ISPs in many countries using many different OS versions and they seem to be no nearer a solution.

User uploaded file

8:45 pm Thursday; August 31, 2017

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Sierra)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone 6 iOS 10.x and an iPad (2)

can't sign into iMessages on macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.