Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What information is shared from my phone's browsing history if I'm using mobile hotspot to VPN on work laptop?

I use my mobile hotspot to connect to my companie's network via VPN occasionally. If I'm browsing on my phone during that connection is that being shared?

Posted on Aug 31, 2017 9:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2017 9:59 AM

If you use your phone as personal hotspot and connect to VPN on your laptop (not phone), then browsing activities performed on the phone can be viewed by your carrier (while traffic from your computer will go through a VPN server).

This includes, but not limits to: full URLs of pages you visit (for HTTP sites only) or website’s IP address (for both HTTP and HTTPS sites), your location (based of carrier’s data), browser’s user agent, and much more.

If you connect to VPN on your phone, those same things are available to your VPN provider (e.g., your company).

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2017 9:59 AM in response to Raebabyislegit

If you use your phone as personal hotspot and connect to VPN on your laptop (not phone), then browsing activities performed on the phone can be viewed by your carrier (while traffic from your computer will go through a VPN server).

This includes, but not limits to: full URLs of pages you visit (for HTTP sites only) or website’s IP address (for both HTTP and HTTPS sites), your location (based of carrier’s data), browser’s user agent, and much more.

If you connect to VPN on your phone, those same things are available to your VPN provider (e.g., your company).

What information is shared from my phone's browsing history if I'm using mobile hotspot to VPN on work laptop?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.