Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppleTV 4 kills my internet connection

Hi,

I have an AppleTV 4th generation which kills my internet connection at random. I can be watching TV on my AppleTV suddenly freezes. All other connected devices also looses connections outside my house. I can log on to the router and the bandwitdh monitoring drops to 0. It can be like this for 10 seconds or 3 minutes. If I restart my AppleTV it is fixed instantly.

I have tested that the issues is with the AppleTV since it still happens when the AppleTV is the only device connected to the router. And when I remove the AppleTV and connect everything else it does not happen. I even changed ISP three times, and wireless router four times since the issue started to happen. I have also restored the AppleTV to factory settings and done an iOS upgrade. The problem is both on Wireless and wired connection between router and AppleTV. And the AppleTV has a fixed IP.

I checked with my local apple store, but the only thing they could do was to swap it and charge me almost the same as the price of a new one...

Any ideas?

Apple TV, null

Posted on Sep 1, 2017 6:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2017 6:30 PM

I'm having this same problem with my new AppleTV 4K. My whole internet goes down until I reset the router or unplug the Apple TV (wired). Have you found a solution?

The longest my network has stayed up with the AppleTV connected is about 45 min to an hour.

8 replies

Oct 8, 2017 12:17 PM in response to Kpfile

I have a similar issue. Internet works only for a while when the Apple TV 4K is connected through Ethernet to my router/modem (did not have the issue with my previous Apple TV. After a while, I loose internet. And not only for the Apple TV, I loose internet on all my devices (wifi and ethernet). If I restart the Apple TV, I get internet back. I can get it back if I restart the router/modem too.

I observe the issue with iOS 11.0 and the public beta 11.1.

And we are not alone. Check out this thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/appletv/comments/721tlq/apple_tv_4k_ethernet_issue/

Apparently some guys found a workaround by placing an Ethernet switch between the Apple TV and the router. Hardly a solution though.

Sep 1, 2017 6:33 AM in response to JohnSverre

Intermittent problems are often a result of interference. Interference can be caused by other wifi networks in the neighbourhood or from many household electrical items.

You can download and install iStumbler (NetStumbler for windows users) to help you see which channels are used by neighbouring networks so that you can avoid them, but iStumbler will not see household items that cause interference.

Refer to your router manual for instructions on changing your wifi channel or adjusting your multicast rate (which may help where interference is present. You might also try moving the Apple TV away from other electrical equipment.

There are other types of problems that can affect networks, but this is by far the most common, hence worth mentioning first. Networks that have inherent issues can be seen to work differently with different versions of the same software or from device to device, so just because it worked before or works with a different device doesn’t exclude interference as a problem.

The following article(s) may help you.

Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

Recommended Wi-Fi settings

Sources of Interference

Wifi Diagnostic Software (for Mac users)

You may also find some help on this page, where I’ve collected some of the more unusual solutions to network issues.

I understand that some of the suggested software (whilst once free) has become pay-ware, I suggest you look around, you may find free alternatives.

Sep 2, 2017 7:06 AM in response to JohnSverre

This is very strange. It seems like your Apple TV is doing something that causes the ISP's router to disconnect it. Difficult to imagine what that could be. It is certainly not the normal experience of Apple TV users.

Are you in a country that restricts access to certain sites, e.g. China?

Are you doing anything unusual on your network, like static IP addresses, etc.?

Are you using a VPN, unblocker, etc.?

Does this happen with a specific app, or with any app?

AppleTV 4 kills my internet connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.