Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fraudulent order on my account

A warning and asking if this is happening to anyone else. On Tuesday, 8/29/17, I received a phone call from Apple, phone number 512-674-2000, asking me to confirm my order of a MacBook Pro. The caller read out my Apple ID and the last four digits of my credit card number. I told him I had not ordered the MacBook. He said he was cancelling the order and recommended I change password and cancel the credit card. I asked him what about the order had indicated that it might be fraudulent but he wouldn't say. I confirmed on my bank app that there was a charge from Apple Store for over $2,500. I did change my password right away and canceled the credit card. When I later checked the Gmail account used with my Apple account, I found an acknowledgement email for the Apple order. And I was being flooded with hundreds of messages saying that I had subscribed to a wide variety of mailing lists and retail web sites and Wordpress sites. The flood has slowed but still continues several days later. No other suspicious activity on my credit card account. I have two-factor authentication turned on. My Apple account is not shared with anyone else. At all times, my phone and my iPad have been in my possession.

Then last night I received an email saying that I had changed my billing address. I had not changed it. I went to my Apple account and there was no apparent change. I changed the password again.

Every time I changed my password, the two-factor authentication was activated and worked as intended. How did these people place this order without triggering the two-factor authentication? What's the point of all the email subscriptions? It just seems to be calling attention to the fact that I'm the target of a hack. And what's the explanation for the address change notice? Presumably, the hackers want the MacBook delivered to them and not to my home. But how are they getting into my account with triggering a warning to my other devices?

Posted on Sep 2, 2017 1:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2017 1:32 PM

Everyone here is a user of Apple products, as you are. We don't have answers for things like that about your account.

Apple ID security issues -

Account security issues almost always require you to speak directly to an Apple representative to securely establish your identity as the account holder. You can set it up so that Apple calls you, either immediately or at a time convenient to you.

1. Go to http://www.apple.com/support/appleid/

2. Choose Contact Support at the bottom of the page

3. Choose Other Apple ID topics.

4. Choose Apple ID information not recognized.

5. Choose a method to speak to Apple. You want to speak with Account security.

Late 2012 Mac mini, macOS 10.12.6;  Watch, watchOS 3.2.3; iPad Air 2 & iPhone 6+, iOS 10.3.3; TV 4th Gen, tvOS 10.2.1;  Airport Express

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2017 1:32 PM in response to KPBidwell

Everyone here is a user of Apple products, as you are. We don't have answers for things like that about your account.

Apple ID security issues -

Account security issues almost always require you to speak directly to an Apple representative to securely establish your identity as the account holder. You can set it up so that Apple calls you, either immediately or at a time convenient to you.

1. Go to http://www.apple.com/support/appleid/

2. Choose Contact Support at the bottom of the page

3. Choose Other Apple ID topics.

4. Choose Apple ID information not recognized.

5. Choose a method to speak to Apple. You want to speak with Account security.

Late 2012 Mac mini, macOS 10.12.6;  Watch, watchOS 3.2.3; iPad Air 2 & iPhone 6+, iOS 10.3.3; TV 4th Gen, tvOS 10.2.1;  Airport Express

Fraudulent order on my account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.