Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

filevault stuck on encrypting for days after sierra upgrade

I have a late 2011 MacBook Pro which has been a dream until I upgraded to Sierra 10.12. It started freezing up a few days after upgrade. I am not very technical and tried the usual things:

1. Boot into safe mode, same freezing issues

2. Boot into recovery mode and run disk utility on all drives (nothing found)

3. Boot into recovery mode and reinstall Sierra

When I try to reinstall it says FileVault encryption in process. This was days ago. When I boot normally and check on FileVault the status bar stays in the same spot with no estimated time remaining. I am self employed and my Mac is part of how I pay my bills. Any and all help is GREATLY appreciated.

MacBook Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12)

Posted on Sep 2, 2017 2:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2017 6:56 PM

This has been taking a long time for me too. It has been encrypting for a couple of days now and the status hasn't changed much. It appears that the encryption status only changes when I'm using the computer. I read about the potential cause in the following thread https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7908056?start=0&tstart=0

2 replies

filevault stuck on encrypting for days after sierra upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.