Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro External Display Flickering Issues

I recently purchased a Macbook Pro 13" no touch bar for programming and web dev purposes. However, when I used a usb-c to hdmi dongle, Topgeekton connect the macbook to an external display, the external display constantly turns on and off, resulting in an unusable display. I've searched the web for any solutions and it seems like many more are experiencing the same issue. It's critical that this issue be resolved because an external display is basically a requirement for my purposes and many others that have purchased a macbook. I would think, at this price point, connecting an external display should not even be an issue. But it is, so please provide a solution to this issue. Also, I've tried resetting the PRAM and every other solution that's out there.

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Sep 3, 2017 5:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2017 4:50 PM

I'm having the same issue. . .brand spanking new MacBook Pro 13' with touch bar connected via the Apple USB-C digital AV multiport adapter and HDMI cable to an equally brand spanking new Dell U3415W 34' curved display. The only way I've been able to get the Dell display to work without flickering is:

1. Set the Dell display refresh rate to 30 hertz.

2. Keep the lid of my MacBook open and set the Dell as the primary screen (move the top menu bar).

As soon as I close the lid. . .flickering and/or permanent black out. This is obviously a universally encountered issue by any new MacBook owner trying to connect to a 4K or better external display. I've tried all of the other suggested solutions (resetting PRAM, etc. . .) as well. While not ideal, it has at least enabled me to be able to use my external display while waiting for Apple to get around to fixing the issue.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 9, 2017 4:50 PM in response to awesometim1

I'm having the same issue. . .brand spanking new MacBook Pro 13' with touch bar connected via the Apple USB-C digital AV multiport adapter and HDMI cable to an equally brand spanking new Dell U3415W 34' curved display. The only way I've been able to get the Dell display to work without flickering is:

1. Set the Dell display refresh rate to 30 hertz.

2. Keep the lid of my MacBook open and set the Dell as the primary screen (move the top menu bar).

As soon as I close the lid. . .flickering and/or permanent black out. This is obviously a universally encountered issue by any new MacBook owner trying to connect to a 4K or better external display. I've tried all of the other suggested solutions (resetting PRAM, etc. . .) as well. While not ideal, it has at least enabled me to be able to use my external display while waiting for Apple to get around to fixing the issue.

Sep 3, 2017 5:55 PM in response to awesometim1

Hello awesometim1,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

I see that you are having issues connecting and using an external display to your MacBook Pro. I would start with the suggestions in this support article: Get help with video issues on external displays connected to your Mac

Additionally, you will want to try to see if the adapter you are using works on a different computer and/or if another adapter works on your computer. This would help narrow the issue down to the computer or the adapter.

Best regards.

Sep 3, 2017 9:24 PM in response to chris_g1

I've already tried everything that was presented as a solution on the linked site. Nothing has worked so far. Also, I do not own any more adapters or USB-C capable computers so that is out of the question. Either the adapter is the problem or the computer itself has some issues. But I've been searching the web and it seems like many other macbook owners are experiencing the same issue, so my assumption is that the macbook itself is the problem...

Macbook Pro External Display Flickering Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.