Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slide a note on a midi bass

I have looked every where for this. I did it once on an older version of garageband but I'm running 10.2 and I can't for the life of me figure out where this setting is.

I am making a rock song and since I don't have a real bass guitar I am programming a midi bass. I want the first note of this one song to slide up a 4th interval.So like starting at slide a G to a C. Thanks for any help you all can give me.

GarageBand 10, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Sep 3, 2017 1:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2017 10:29 PM

To experiment with the different expressions, you can open the Midi-Draw area below the track editor window and open the curve for "Modulation" or "Velocity". Then add control points to the curve by command-clicking it. To open Midi-Draw, click the button with the three lines in the upper left corner of the editor tools.

User uploaded file

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 4, 2017 10:29 PM in response to CvpCake

To experiment with the different expressions, you can open the Midi-Draw area below the track editor window and open the curve for "Modulation" or "Velocity". Then add control points to the curve by command-clicking it. To open Midi-Draw, click the button with the three lines in the upper left corner of the editor tools.

User uploaded file

Sep 4, 2017 7:59 AM in response to CvpCake

You need a software instrument bass that supports different expressions. There are some types of bass in the Jam Pack 3: Rhythm Section Instruments. These instruments support slides and other types of expression using the mod wheel or the velocity. Modulation and velocity can be controlled in the midi draw area of the GarageBand editor window.

The JamPack instruments do not come with GarageBand. You can install them by purchasing MainStage 3.

For example, if you use the Attitude Bass, Glam Rock Bass, Grind Bass:

Aggressive Fretless: Fretless electric bass with strong bite and attack

Mod wheel adds vibrato.

Highest velocity adds slide down to note. Attitude Bass, Glam Rock Bass, Grind Bass: Fretless electric bass played with a pick

for heavier styles such as alternative rock, punk, and metal.

Mod wheel adds slide up to note. Higher velocity increases attack and intensity. Lowest velocity plays stopped notes. Notes below E0 play slides and dives.

Liverpool Bass: Electric bass with a round, lyrical tone for classic rock and melodic pop.

Mod wheel makes the sound more muted. Highest velocity adds a slide down from the note. Notes below E0 give slides, harmonics, and pick sound.

Motown Bass: Deep, warm electric bass reminiscent of the classic Motown sound

Mod wheel makes the sound more muted. Highest velocity adds a slide down from the note. Notes below E0 give slides, harmonics, and pick sound.

Slide a note on a midi bass

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.