Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

is it true that apple is charging imessage/facetime activation fee whenever we turn off and on our iphone?

I need a clear explaination about this matter. Thank you. I've been a iphone user since year 2012 since then if you already activated imessage/facetime you won't be charge for another activation fee. When does this activation fee charges started? I talked to our local telecommunication company but it says it is Apple who made that decision? Is that true? Why?

Posted on Sep 3, 2017 10:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2017 6:15 AM

Hi

Depending on your carrier, it can be normal for the activation of iMessage and FaceTime to involve incurring a cost for sending an international SMS message.

The message is sent in the background by your iPhone (to Apple's servers in the UK) when setting up these services. Some carriers do not charge for this SMS message, whilst others do.

If you are experiencing issues with activating either or both of the services, then follow the steps here:

If you get an error when trying to activate iMessage or FaceTime - Apple Support

If you are unhappy with being charged for such messages, then you may wish to contact your carrier / cellular service provider and let them know.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 4, 2017 6:15 AM in response to ysnalyne21

Hi

Depending on your carrier, it can be normal for the activation of iMessage and FaceTime to involve incurring a cost for sending an international SMS message.

The message is sent in the background by your iPhone (to Apple's servers in the UK) when setting up these services. Some carriers do not charge for this SMS message, whilst others do.

If you are experiencing issues with activating either or both of the services, then follow the steps here:

If you get an error when trying to activate iMessage or FaceTime - Apple Support

If you are unhappy with being charged for such messages, then you may wish to contact your carrier / cellular service provider and let them know.

Sep 3, 2017 11:26 PM in response to ysnalyne21

Activating Messages or FaceTime involves sending an SMS message silently between your device and Apple. This activation only occurs when activating a phone number or Apple ID for either Messages or FaceTime, not when turning off and on your phone.

If there is a charge for this SMS Message, it is charged by the carrier and for the carrier.

Where are you located? This SMS message its typically sent free of charge in North America, but in Europe, carriers will likely charge for it.

Sep 15, 2017 2:06 AM in response to ysnalyne21

on my carrier and iphone, even though imessage is disabled, reactivation sms is sent periodically and silently to the imessage server in the uk, incurring hefty global sms charge.

reactivation happens when you swap sim card, lose network connectivity or enter flight mode for extended period time and then reconnect.

imho, it is an apple issue, not carrier.

apple wants everyone to use imessage. apple wants carriers to zero-rate such sms, but not many carriers follow through. this problem doesn't happen on my android and nokia phone.

is it true that apple is charging imessage/facetime activation fee whenever we turn off and on our iphone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.