Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I save a .png file to Photos and while preserving the transparency?

I have several files on my Macbook Pro (running OS X El Capitan) that are .png with a transparent background. I am trying to move them to Photos and so that I can access them and use them within another app on my iPad Pro. However, every time I try to save them, the background goes to white. I have tried saving in DropBox and exporting through there using my iPad, bypassing the Macbook all together. I have tried importing into Photos on my Macbook. I am at a loss.

Thank you in advance!

iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iOS 10.3.3

Posted on Sep 4, 2017 9:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2017 12:02 PM

Photos is storing the PNG files with transparency, but it cannot display the transparent background. Photos is meant to be used for photos and not graphics.

But if you export a PNG file from Photos again with "File > Export unmodified original", the original file with the transparent background should be exported. The transparency will be lost, if you edit the photo in Photos or share it to other applications.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 4, 2017 12:02 PM in response to rjh1977

Photos is storing the PNG files with transparency, but it cannot display the transparent background. Photos is meant to be used for photos and not graphics.

But if you export a PNG file from Photos again with "File > Export unmodified original", the original file with the transparent background should be exported. The transparency will be lost, if you edit the photo in Photos or share it to other applications.

How do I save a .png file to Photos and while preserving the transparency?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.