Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lossless files available in the iTunes store?

I don't see any format option to download songs/albums when purchasing from the iTunes store. Is any lossless format available? Apple Lossless, wav, etc

If a higher bit rate is available, can I download my purchased files in the higher bit rate and over write my standard mp3 files?

I'm using an iMac with Sierra ver. 10.12.6 as my media player with Yamaha studio monitors and Dragonfly DAC.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 10.3.2

Posted on Sep 4, 2017 9:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2017 4:53 AM

1. No, with the possible exception of podcast episodes.

2. Except as noted above or for very old purchases, all iTunes Store music will be 256Kbps AAC. Tracks already in the library at a lower bitrate can be deleted and then downloaded from it.

(153393)

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 5, 2017 4:53 AM in response to eilandj

1. No, with the possible exception of podcast episodes.

2. Except as noted above or for very old purchases, all iTunes Store music will be 256Kbps AAC. Tracks already in the library at a lower bitrate can be deleted and then downloaded from it.

(153393)

Sep 5, 2017 5:03 AM in response to Niel

Tnx Niel.

Everything I've downloaded from the store have been mp3's (cuz of my iTunes preference? What if I selected Apple Lossless as my default - will they then come in as aac?).

I've gotten lazy over recent years, perhaps it's time to (re)start buying hard copies of discs and ripping the old fashion way. And collecting/listening to full albums again vs single tracks here and there (but the era of 'album stories' by the artists has gone away)?

Lossless files available in the iTunes store?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.