Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo stream

I have photos on my iMac in my photo stream that i wish to keep.

I have copied them into a new album but when it comes to clearing out my photo stream the pictures are removed from my new album. What am i doing wrong?

iMac with Retina 5K display, iOS 10.3.3

Posted on Sep 5, 2017 5:46 AM

12 replies

Sep 5, 2017 5:59 AM in response to ralph3107

Photo Stream is a syncing service and holds images on a temporary basis (up to 1,000 images for 30 days unless manually deleted) but they are stored permanently in Photos/All Photos. My understanding is that there's no way images should disappear from an album if you delete them from Photo Stream, either on the iMac or another device.

Look in the top level 'Photos' and see if they are there.

User uploaded file

Sep 5, 2017 6:51 AM in response to ralph3107

Do you have iCloud Photo Library turned on by any chance? If you do, then you really are syncing your photos and videos to your iCloud storage. MyPhotoStream doesn't count against your iCloud storage. I've found that iCloud Photo Library works very well and you can get a pretty decent amount of iCloud storage space for a few dollars a month. It really is worth it, especially if you have multiple devices.

User uploaded file

Sep 5, 2017 7:51 AM in response to ralph3107

Is it possible that you have iCloud Photo Library turned on, on the iMac side of things? You can certainly delete photos from iCloud and leave them on your iOS device and iMac, but before you do so you really need to make sure that iCloud Photo Library isn't turned on anywhere or it'll remove them from those devices as well. Just double check the devices you want to make sure you want to keep the photos on. If iCloud Photo Library is turned off everywhere, just go to iCloud.com in Safari, log on to your account, click on Photos, select the photos you want to delete and click on the trashcan in the top right. This should remove the photos just from your iCloud account. It doesn't get rid of them right away, it puts them into "Recently Deleted", so you can go in there and click on "Delete All". That should do the trick.

Photo stream

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.