Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I unlock symbol keyboard. When I type letters it shows only symbols

Hi,

I think I accidentally locked my keyboard to symbols. When I type letters it shows only symbols instead of letters. For e.g. if I type 'a' it appears as 'å'. I want to unlock the symbol keyboard and get back to alphabetical keyboard.

I couldn't login to my Mac because of this issue. Can anyone tell me of there's any shortcut to unlock the symbol keyboard?

Mac Pro, iOS 10.3.3

Posted on Sep 5, 2017 11:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2017 12:44 PM

For North American (and several other) keyboard layouts. "å" is accessed by pressing option-a.

Other characters in order in the same row, with option pressed are: åß∂ƒ˙∆˚¬…æ

The rest of the keys produce the characters shown in the Keyboard Viewer image below:

User uploaded file

If these are consistent with what you are seeing, your keyboard may be seeing one of the option keys 'permanently' pressed.

You could check this by going to System Preferences > Keyboard > Modifier keys… then clicking on the pop-up menu for Option and choosing "No action".

Depending on the keyboard, repair of a stuck key may be possible in store, or may require replacement of the keyboard.

Regards,

Barry

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 5, 2017 12:44 PM in response to lCHUBBZl

For North American (and several other) keyboard layouts. "å" is accessed by pressing option-a.

Other characters in order in the same row, with option pressed are: åß∂ƒ˙∆˚¬…æ

The rest of the keys produce the characters shown in the Keyboard Viewer image below:

User uploaded file

If these are consistent with what you are seeing, your keyboard may be seeing one of the option keys 'permanently' pressed.

You could check this by going to System Preferences > Keyboard > Modifier keys… then clicking on the pop-up menu for Option and choosing "No action".

Depending on the keyboard, repair of a stuck key may be possible in store, or may require replacement of the keyboard.

Regards,

Barry

Nov 15, 2017 9:50 PM in response to Apbateman

The boxed ? may be the substitute character for any character not defined in the font you are using.

Do you see this character on the keyboard image, or only in the document into which you are typing?

You appear to be asking a question about an issue appearing on an iOS device in this MacPro community, where the topic is issues with the MacPro desktop computer, an OS X/macOS device.

Please Re-post your question as a new topic in the Using iPhone community. An answer to the question I asked above may be useful in finding a solution there.

Regards,

Barry

Nov 16, 2017 4:49 AM in response to Apbateman

Apbateman wrote:

I keep seeing A ? (Inside a Box) and I don’t know why I keep seeing that. I’ve done my updates I restarted my phone, can someone help me with that?

If you are seeing this in stuff received from others, it is because they have not updated their iphones.

If you see this when YOU type the letter "I", it is because you have not updated to 11.1.1.

How do I unlock symbol keyboard. When I type letters it shows only symbols

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.