Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blank screen after typing password

Hi guys,

I've got the problem with my MacBook Pro when I try to login. Namely what happened is that when I try to login and type my pass on the login screen it goes directly into black screen.

The weirdest thing is that it works for the Guest user I can login there and get the full screen but for my admin user just black screen.

Any suggestion ?

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, iOS 10.3.3

Posted on Sep 5, 2017 12:29 PM

7 replies

Sep 5, 2017 3:18 PM in response to iracic

Boot into the Recovery Drive by holding down Command R when restarting. It takes a bit for Recovery to mount so hold down the keys until you see the gray screen with the box in the middle.

Select Disk Utility and run First Aid on your Macintosh HD. If OK, then Under Utilities in the Menu bar, select Terminal.

User uploaded file

Enter resetpassword. That's one word with no spaces. Then press return.

A Reset Password window opens.

Select your boot volume if not already selected.

Select your username from the menu labeled Select the user account if not already selected.

Follow the prompts to reset the password.

Restart under the Apple in the Menu bar. Can you log in now?

Sep 5, 2017 3:29 PM in response to iracic

Do you have an external drive? If yes, you would need to install macOS on the external drive from recovery drive. While booted from the external you should be able to see the contents of your internal Macintosh HD. You can now copy (drag) over your data to the external.

After you have recovered your data, I would erase the internal and clone your data to the internal drive. You'll need to use either CCC or SuperDuper for this copy.

CCC http://www.bombich.com/download.html

SuperDuper! http://www.shirt-pocket.com/

Blank screen after typing password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.