Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best OS for iPad (3rd Generation)

I have an iPad (Generation 3), model A1416, with 6.1.3 OS. I keep getting notices to upgrade to OS 9.2.1. I have heard that the older iPads should stay with the older OS and not update to 9.2.1.

I tried to upgrade to 9.2.1, but got an error message that the system was unable to verify update because I was no longer connected to the Internet (which was not true).

Should I continue to upgrade to 9.2.1 or stay put with 6.1.3?

iPad Wi-Fi, iOS 6.1.3, null

Posted on Sep 5, 2017 1:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2017 8:13 AM

Hi DieselTom. Your iPad has downloaded the iOS 9.2.1 update, which cannot be verified by Apple because it is no longer current. The "not connected to the internet" message is a generic message, used for any network failure. You need to delete the 9.2.1 update from your device. Go to Settings > General > Storage and iCloud Usage. Tap the first Manage Storage (the one for STORAGE), and find the update (look for the gear icon). Tap on it and it will offer the delete option.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 6, 2017 8:13 AM in response to DieselTom

Hi DieselTom. Your iPad has downloaded the iOS 9.2.1 update, which cannot be verified by Apple because it is no longer current. The "not connected to the internet" message is a generic message, used for any network failure. You need to delete the 9.2.1 update from your device. Go to Settings > General > Storage and iCloud Usage. Tap the first Manage Storage (the one for STORAGE), and find the update (look for the gear icon). Tap on it and it will offer the delete option.

Sep 6, 2017 8:22 AM in response to Diana.McCall

Diana,

My iPad is an old one, an iPad (3rd Generation). I to use the following path: Settings>Usage>Storage. There is no OS listed, either the 6.3.1 (which I am currently using) or 9.2.1. As a comparison, I tried your suggested path on my wife's iPad Air and your path was 100% correct. It showed the OS icon.

Where are they hiding the OS icon on my iPad (3rd generation) model A1416?

Sep 6, 2017 9:33 AM in response to DieselTom

There is no OS listed, either the 6.3.1 (which I am currently using) or 9.2.1.

The current iOS version won't be listed as that's what's installed (so can't be deleted), and the 'downloaded to install' version (which your iPad is showing as 9.2.1) possibly won't show there as your iPad is on 6.3.1 (I think that it was only in iOS 7 or 8 that it became possible to see it there and delete it).

If you want to update to 9.3.5 (there is no going back if you do) you could try a soft-reset/reboot and then try Software Update, or do the update via your computer's iTunes (Summary tab in iTunes) - after taking a backup and copying purchases over to your computer's iTunes (File > Devices > Transfer Purchases) and, preferably, taking your own copy of any important documents and photos

Sep 6, 2017 12:32 PM in response to DieselTom

FYi,

My wife's iPad 3 is just fine on iOS 9.3.5.

So, your iPad should not experience any major issues.

In addition, if you're not intersted in upgrading to a newer iPad model, app developers are still offering apps that are still compatible with older iOS versions, but this may change with iOS 11 that will end all app support for all older, 32 bit iDevices (iPad 2, 3, 4 and 1st gen iPad Mini) and all 32 bit coded apps.

So, you may want to consider upgrading your iPad 3's iOS in order to take advantage of newer versions of apps while this is still possible.

No one really knows what'll happen, at some point, with the future older 32 bit apps still being accessed/retained/offered in the iOS App Store, once iOS 11 becomes available.

Good Luck to You!

Best OS for iPad (3rd Generation)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.